PDA

View Full Version : quadruped issues

mitchl
03-25-2007, 10:04 PM
I have a Maya 7 quadruped model rigged & skinned imported into MB 7.5. All is well until I try to animate the forelegs. The IK only sends the knee backwards. I've changed the orientation of the bone 180 degrees in Maya and reskinned--pain in the butt--but this does nothing. Probably MB reads the forelegs as arms--the backwards movement of an elbow would be right for an arm but doesn't work for a leg. Does anyone know what parameter in MB to change to get the leg to flex properly? I have specified a quadrupleg model in MB. It seems to me that characterization for bipeds and quadrupeds should be different.

Sammer
03-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Hey mitchl,

It sounds like its either how your setting up your hierarchy or how your naming the joints.

The joint that MB's quad rig thinks is the 'elbow' (where the elbow effector gets assigned) will only bend to the rear, changing the joints rotation in Maya doesn't change anything, the starting rotation of a joint is merely offset by MB.

Check out one of the provided quads and see how it compares to your setup. It's possible the joint your calling the 'elbow' should actually be the shoulder?

Good luck

Sam

mitchl
03-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Hey mitchl,

It sounds like its either how your setting up your hierarchy or how your naming the joints.

The joint that MB's quad rig thinks is the 'elbow' (where the elbow effector gets assigned) will only bend to the rear, changing the joints rotation in Maya doesn't change anything, the starting rotation of a joint is merely offset by MB.

Check out one of the provided quads and see how it compares to your setup. It's possible the joint your calling the 'elbow' should actually be the shoulder?

Good luck

Sam

Thanks for the input Sam. You mention "provided quads". Provided where? At the moment I'm working with the PLE while the full program is in transit, so you may be referring to some which are bundled with the full program.

bclark
03-27-2007, 03:49 AM
I have specified a quadrupleg model in MB. It seems to me that characterization for bipeds and quadrupeds should be different.

your correct, the have to be in diffrent start poses when you characterize.

"For quadrupeds, it is a stance where the modelís four limbs and all toes point towards the floor (figure 3 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/javascript:WWHClickedPopup('MBHelp75', 'MBHelp75-093-05.html#wp1042104');), B)."

in the 7.5 help file ..

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Autodesk/MotionBuilder75/help/MBHelp75/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/_index.htm

hope that helps

mitchl
03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
your correct, the have to be in diffrent start poses when you characterize.

"For quadrupeds, it is a stance where the modelís four limbs and all toes point towards the floor (figure 3 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/javascript:WWHClickedPopup('MBHelp75', 'MBHelp75-093-05.html#wp1042104');), B)."

in the 7.5 help file ..

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Autodesk/MotionBuilder75/help/MBHelp75/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/_index.htm

hope that helps

The pose has been right all along. It's that MB thinks the fore knees are really elbows and thus sends them backwards. I still can't figure out how to make MB think that the "elbows" are really knees.

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.