PDA

View Full Version : Technique Question

Fio003
03-25-2007, 07:23 PM
I find that when I'm sculpting in Mudbox I run into a problem of poor subdivision distribution. Basically when I make mouths, or nostrils, etc. the vertices there get very stretched out, and I don't have as much control. And then the back of the head, where I haven't sculpted much, is extremely dense with verts. Now, I could use local subdivisions, but it seems like there has to be some technique that avoids this. Is this just a question of needing more practice, or am I missing something?

JamesMK
03-25-2007, 08:50 PM
It's very simple: your relative polygon distribution and the relative size of the polygons will stay constant no matter how much you subdivide - it's all comes down to the quality of your base mesh.

Thus, if you have perfectly square and evenly distributed polys in the base, they will continue that way when subdivided. And vice-versa, if you have wildly rectangular and unevenly distributed polys in the base, they will too, indeed, continue to be like that when subdivided.

Fio003
03-26-2007, 03:39 AM
I appreciate the tip, but I'm not using a base mesh. I guess this question is really very specific to Mudbox, because most of the time I don't really feel like making a base mesh in 3DSMax if all I want to do is mess around in Mudbox, not really intending to finalize it or make a project out of it. So if I start from the Mudbox cube, how do I approach this?

EDIT: I'm not sure if I understood...when you say base mesh, are you talking about a low to mid poly version of the character, with the mudboxing for wrinkles, etc.? Or are you also talking about the base mesh as in the cube in mudbox?

pnoland
03-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Generally when people refer to a base mesh they are speaking of a premade low to mid range polygon count model to import into Mudbox to detail. Using just a cube or sphere would be using primitive objects to sculpt with.

JamesMK
03-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Doesn't really matter to the original issue concerning polygon distribution anyway. If it's a MB primitive cube or a mesh coming from elsewhere, subdivision works the same way regardless.

dave247
03-28-2007, 03:14 AM
I think I understand his problem...

I usually dont use a base mesh, so I start with a Mudbox primative, and as I sculpt, things can tend to get a bit uneven and messy, and that leads to warping of the object. I mean, it just looks bad because there is a big crease in the sculpture where I know there are overlapping polygons that should not be overlapping. Example: if you have the buldge tool's strength up too far and you only buldge one part of the object and it becomes really big so you try to even it out by buldging the surrounding areas, that gets things messy.

So I guess we just need to understand the best way to go about molding and sculpting something from a MB primative.

Also, if this is an issue, why not develope a software feature that keeps all the polygons evened out and everything?

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2007, 03:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.