PDA

View Full Version : Max : How to Mirror Limbs ??

xedus
03-25-2007, 10:50 AM
This is another noob issue im facing . Ive prepared the rig of the R-Arm , and ive made use of the Orientation constraint as well as Reaction manager to get the desired result of being able to move the arm freely , as well as full wrist control . Now the problem im facing is how do i mirror all the objects without affecting the pivots or the stuff in the Reaction manager , coz thats causing me major issues . It screws up the mirrored part .

The prof's at the institute i attend stated that i should make groups of the entire set and mirror it , but that really hasnt helped . The pivots still get screwed , and so do the reaction manager objects .

Ive posted my rig below , if someone could give me advice on how to get about this problem , or maybe check my rig , do the mirror and then post it up so that i can download and study it , it will be god helpfull . Please , any form of advice is helpfull .

Rig :http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/121373/Final-rig-new1-rar.html

zzama
03-25-2007, 12:09 PM
the best (and i belive - based on my experience - the only) way to mirror a rig is to mirror the bones and re-rig the mirrored part
cheers

xedus
03-25-2007, 02:54 PM
That is a valid way , but im not using bones , if you check my rig {^^"} . I've made another rig with just bones , and that seems to get mirrored properly , but in the case of this rig , it's all custom made poly objects . So basically we're back to square 1 .

Another thing ive noticed while i was studying other rigs, it doesnt seem to be necessary to un-mirror the pivots , i.e. it's ok the pivots get mirrored , it doesnt affect the overall transformation , but that still doesnt solve the problem i am facing with the Orientation Constraints and the stuff in the reaction manager.....how do i get around that ?? IK's i can allot seperately , thats not a problem , but i dont think i can sit and re allot the rotations for the arm and the fingers and such . {--"} .

Christov
03-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Hello, Zedus,
I think your rig is unnecessary complicated.
First of all - every object may be "Bone" is you checked "Bone On" in Bone Tools.

Second - you really have no need of these forearm bones in Main IK chain ( "Main Chain = Arm-Forearm-Hand).
If you want Arm Twist, make some bones and Link their parent Bone to ForearmBone. Make every bone to LookAt previous, and last Bone - LookAt "Bone_Hand". Create some controller for Hand (yes. you did it), and Wire it "Rotation_X" to "Rotation_X" on every Twist bone, with some falloff coefficient (i.e. LastBone (closer to Hand).Rotation_X = Hand.Rotation_X; next_bone.Rotation_X = Hand.Rotation_X * 0.75 ; Next_Bone1.Rotation_X = Hand.Rotation_X *0.5 and so on.... )

Third - You have no need of these spheres - they only make your IK chain more unpredictable (with more objects to solve).

Hold on to rig in MAX Tutorials - it is ideal for basic rig !

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2007, 10:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.