PDA

View Full Version : Axe in Head

gavna
03-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi there all,
Just wondered if anyone could help me out..... I am trying to make an axe go into someones head but not sure where to start.. Basically the axe must penetrate the head and split open so that you can see the insides, (this is to live footage)... Just need some advice what programme would be best for this.
Cheers..... Gav

DavidWeinstein
03-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Gav, sounds like you have pretty intense duties ahead of yourself! Alrighty, here's how it would pretty much be done at ILM or Sony or one of the big shot studios.

1) you need a CG double. That double should be lined up and matched to the live action actor in the plates on the frame JUST before the axe is supposed to hit the actor. This CG double will already have a sliced head open (but keep it closed up - like normal for now - we dont want to see the split open head till the axe hits him)

2) here's the trick. Animate your axe coming down and then RIGHT WHEN THE AXE HITS THE ACTOR HEAD. Swap in CG double!

3) Animate the CG double head peeling apart. Reacting to the axe. Frame by frame... make sure the head is RESPONDING to the axe. Not the otherway around!

4) At the point when the CG doubles head splits open you will have to PAINT out the live action actors head where it is not needed. This can be a tricky duty. I suggest After Effects... but you should talk to a paint or roto guru about that topic.

The two movies that come to mind for me when i picture this - is Underworld and Underworld Evolution. There's a scene in each of these movies with a characters head being sliced in half in full glory. Check them out for reference.

How realistic your render is will basicly sell the deal or not. Something of this nature is NOT easy to pull off. You will also prolly need to add some fxs animation (blood, etc) to make the impact of the axe hitting the head look legit. Any animation software package will do the deal... Maya, XSI, 3D Studio Max. GOOD LUCK BRO! And please send us a movie file when your done... i want to see some poor CG sole lose his head to an axe!!!???

David Weinstein
Mech Engineer and Creature Wrangler
http://imdb.com/name/nm1313488/

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2007, 10:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.