PDA

View Full Version : human model troubles =/

formerself
03-24-2007, 04:43 AM
Hi im pretty new to modeling and have been trying to bang out a human or atleast something that resembles a person slightly =/. Anyways the method i use is basically make a box for whatever portion of the body im doing i.e head, torso, arm. then make very small changes in the detail, so that i get a very low poly resemblance of what i want. then i switch on nurms and change it around until it looks pretty good, afterwhich i move on to the next portion of that box i want to model out. this gives me a fairly decent, illbeit cartoonish looking figure, however i ultimatly end up with all kinds of small triangles and non-quad polys by the time i get done adding as much detail as i can.

now im just wondering if what your methods for banging out a good looking "clean" model are. do you make a rough low poly than apply a meshsmooth and work with those new polys. is nurms something people use when there going for a lot of detail or just something quick and easy for making a decent looking cartoonish type model?

thanks for any tips or tut links

Goon
03-25-2007, 01:40 AM
Not sure what app you are using, but I think nurms is a subdivision surface (subd). Just pointing that out, cause its a pita when people use app specific terminoligy.

Getting a nice mesh is a matter of practice, and knowing what you want the end product to look like.

Study other peoples wireframes, as well as anatomy so that you know the planes and how the surface flows.

Also, I prefer to work on the 0 level wireframe (without nurms activated) as having a clean wireframe is critical. This includes not only the topology, but even distribution of polygons, with edges forming smooth curves. If you move these points around in nurms mode you see the smoothed surface, but tweaking it in nurms view will cause you to have a very messy wireframe. Also, it generally means that you need to have more divisions than you would if you just tweaked the nurms view, but this in turn gives you more surface control.

I would suggest that you don't try complex topology yet. Just work with simple meshes and focus on a character that has proper proportions and volumes. Then build in the basic edgeloops for the should, face, crotch etc.

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2007, 01:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.