PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Demo Reel

airg
03-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am graduating from SCAD this Spring and have just created the first draft of my rigging demo reel and would like some feedback. Any suggestions for improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron
here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqJ309D5ydI

thanks, Aaron

ErikSvensson
03-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Hey Aaron!

Great reel, i like it a lot! You've made some neat rigs there.

Some feedback though.

- The flying bug could have more visible animation cause it was hard to tell how the rig worked in that short sequence.

- I would change the black background on that head were you show different facial posÚs, cause they felt un-polished.

I will get back to you with some more feedback later today maybe if I get some free time and can watch it through again. Cheers and good luck job hunting! :thumbsup:

Erik

EricDLegare
03-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Yes indeed,

I agree on both the flying bug and the facial animation comments...

btw the flying bug rig is really cool :P the kind of leg extension was great too :P Maybe you could give more time to the flying bug :P

Also, at the beggining we see that guy in a robe that have bones in it, I was expecting to see how this cage of bones worked :P

And I'd add that I don't really like to see '' students demo '' that are better than my current work :applause:

airg
03-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback you guys. I was worried about the reel running to long if I added more time to the grasshopper. Does the running time bother anyone else? thanks again for the comments. Keep 'em coming.

Aaron

Rodi
03-26-2007, 03:58 PM
For those who understand the technicalities behind rigging will find this a great reel, especially since your just graduating...

but its not the most pretty reel, there are things which are barely readable on screen, but those are not too important.

ErikSvensson
03-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback you guys. I was worried about the reel running to long if I added more time to the grasshopper. Does the running time bother anyone else? thanks again for the comments. Keep 'em coming.

Aaron

It might be a little to long in runtime, yes, but I found it fun to watch, for me as a non-hiring person its just entertaining and educational to watch, but for an hiring person it might be to long.

Erik

EricDLegare
03-26-2007, 10:05 PM
... but for an hiring person it might be to long.

Agreed
________

Gerasimimumu
03-28-2007, 08:22 AM
I agree with the Eriks (sorry, had to do that), that it would be way too long for anyone who's hiring to watch it through and through. I'm finishing out my 3rd year at AAU, SF and the one thing every teacher is beating into our heads here, is that the demo reels should be 2 minutes tops, 3 if it shines like the Sun.

I think you can drop the old man from your reel all together. There's simply not enough rigging in that segment to make the money bags watch it. On the other hand it might give you more time to showcase the grasshopper. I'd try to squeeze it down to under 3 minutes, just to play it safe. I understand if will fudge your timing to the soundtrack and you might need to do some re-editing, but that's just part of the process. The viewers watch the reels with mute on half the time anyhoooow.

Good luck,

Gera G.

airg
04-04-2007, 02:41 AM
thanks for the feedback guys, I'll be posting a new version as soon as i can.

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2007, 02:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.