PDA

View Full Version : Does Mudbox support Bump Maps?

Swordsman
03-23-2007, 12:35 PM
I ask because I'd rather do very fine details like veins and pores on a highres bump map texture than have to subdivide to that level.

khurrum_j
03-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Or you could paint your veins and pores as hi-res black and white images, then import them into Mudbox as stencils and stamps.

You could then subdivide to whatever level, and paint with your stencils and stamps.

TADA!!!

KHURRUM

soulburn3d
03-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Try this. Say you have a mesh that's been subdivided 6 times. Paint all your veins and pores using the regular mudbox displacement features at the 6th level. Now when you export your displacement map, export a level 2 mesh, and export your displacement map as the difference between your level 5 mesh and your level 2 mesh. Import your level 2 mesh into your 3d app, and displace it using this map. Then export the difference between your level 5 mesh and your level 6 mesh as a new displacement map. Use this displacement map in your bump map. That way inside your 3d app, you only need to subdivide your object to a level of 5, which will save on memory, and the last tiny details can be a bump map. That may work for you until mudbox gets color and bump painting ca[pabilities.

- Neil

Mindblighter
03-26-2007, 04:42 AM
That may work for you until mudbox gets color and bump painting ca[pabilities.

Forgive me for asking, but has this been officially confirmed? If so, that would be fantastic... :eek:

soulburn3d
03-26-2007, 05:26 AM
Forgive me for asking, but has this been officially confirmed? If so, that would be fantastic... :eek:

Nope, but I would guess it's the next logical step for the software. And yes, it would be fantastic :)

- Neil

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2007, 05:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.