PDA

View Full Version : Hair for video game models

Archvilell
03-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Hello,

I'm working on a character for a game my friend and I are making, and I'm really stuck on how to model the character's hair. I've almost resorted to pulling out my own. I'm modeling a mid-20 male mechanic, so I'm imagining the hairstyle to be a short one, but since I know nothing about hairstyles, I don't know what I'm looking for.

I tried searching the forums for other people's post about this, but everytime I do, the search engine gives me an error message site saying something about bad memory allocation or something.

I've tried Googling every combination of "video game" and "hair" I can think of, and I get no useable results. I've exhausted every mean I know of. Does anyone know of good wireframe references, tutorials, tips, anything. I am at a complete loss.

Thanks,
Ben Day

teamcarlisle
03-23-2007, 01:59 AM
why not give him a bandanna or a backwards ballcap instead? It might be easier to model and might fit the character.

SylvanMist
03-23-2007, 02:56 AM
Well it's really not hard at all. First figure out what hairstyle you want to make(do a search on google for hairstyles to get ideas). Then just model it in polygons as a separate piece if it's long..or if it's really short you can just make the poly's on the head a bit bigger to look like hair and then put it all in the texture. Or if you want to use alpha maps you'd have to plan that out too...I have some very low poly models in my portfolio you can look at to get an idea, no alphas.

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2007, 02:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.