PDA

View Full Version : Perlin noise intellecrual property

yakul
03-22-2007, 05:52 PM
I have implemented in my game the code I saw on ken perlin's website for perlin noise.
My question is, am I allowed to use this code in my game?
What about intellectual property?
Do I need to invent my own noise algorithm? If I will make some improvements to the algorithm, I will not have an IP violation problem?
What do you suggest me to do?

Thank you.

mummey
03-23-2007, 01:38 AM
I have implemented in my game the code I saw on ken perlin's website for perlin noise.
My question is, am I allowed to use this code in my game?
What about intellectual property?
Do I need to invent my own noise algorithm? If I will make some improvements to the algorithm, I will not have an IP violation problem?
What do you suggest me to do?

Thank you.

I believe he released his algorithm as part of his research paper on the topic. Feel free to use it, but don't copy his code. That would potentially violate copyright.

yakul
03-23-2007, 07:27 AM
I believe he released his algorithm as part of his research paper on the topic. Feel free to use it, but don't copy his code. That would potentially violate copyright.
That is where I am confused, what would be copying his code?
By copying his code you mean word by word?
Or even if I write the code in my own style and programming methodology, but it basically does the same calculations, then it is also considered as copied?

mummey
03-23-2007, 01:13 PM
That is where I am confused, what would be copying his code?
By copying his code you mean word by word?
Or even if I write the code in my own style and programming methodology, but it basically does the same calculations, then it is also considered as copied?

Anything in his academic paper should pretty much be "fair-game". Usually its in pseudo code anyways so there is very little question about it and it can be applied to multiple languages easily.

nurcc
03-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Although you might want to look at wavelet noise

http://graphics.pixar.com/#WaveletNoise

It's apparently better at being band-limited, faster, and has an implementation in the appendix of the paper linked.

mummey
03-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Although you might want to look at wavelet noise

http://graphics.pixar.com/#WaveletNoise

It's apparently better at being band-limited, faster, and has an implementation in the appendix of the paper linked.

Thanks for that link!

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2007, 08:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.