PDA

View Full Version : GDC: the broken record

tz1n
03-06-2003, 03:26 AM
Yeah so the GDC, woop. I don't know how it is for artists but for programmers, the tutorials and sessions are mostly review, things you can't ever use but have been long researched, or the occasional useful bit of info. Most of the programming track has been engine stuff, which I find interesting up to a point. I guess I've been soaking in it too long so it just seems to reiterate the stuff I already believe to be true.I guess it's a bit of a stretch to teach ppl how to write games, and is better to focus on the tools games use.

How are the art sessions? Is it mostly introductory or are there some new techniques being discussed?

And to everyone, is there a point to where going to the GDC is an expensive waste of attention?

suck
03-06-2003, 07:32 PM
i have been to gdc one time and it was years back as a volunteer... it's probably changed slightly but as i remember it, the roundtable discussions and keynote speeches were really the only formal events that were worth the time. the tutorials and other sessions were interesting but not much more than that. mostly the whole thing is useful for networking, getting a job, partying and having a few days off from work. if i owned a company i would really hesitate to send anyone as the benefit versus risk is not there. anyone worth their salt looking for a gig will find opportunity there imo. but again, maybe it's changed, who knows. i think i went in 97.

for anyone wanting to break into the industry though, i highly recommend volunteering at gdc. it's a ton of work but you get a lot of exposure to the industry... it's a great place to start for total noobs.

btw i designed the gdc logo... they had a contest a while back and picked mine. its funny to see it plastered all over the place.

Tumerboy
03-07-2003, 04:42 PM
The GDC and every other 3d conference I've gone too has been the same way, the sessions are mostly useless with a few good tidbits here and there.
The only conference that had really good art sessions that I learned a bunch at was the old 3D magazine's 3D conference and expo at the Santa Clara center a couple years back. That was the first conference I went to and I learned a ton.

chalde
03-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Don't lure yourself - The GDC is just a place to give his resume or for untalented people ( for the most parts ) to try to show off...

Tumerboy
03-08-2003, 06:35 AM
I wouldn't go that far, . . . although, maybe I just don't like that because I'm one of the "untalented" ones handing out resumes . . .

Solve
03-08-2003, 07:10 AM
how much does it cost to get into GDC?

CogsOrchish
03-08-2003, 07:35 AM
for Student pass, its 50 dollars. The rest of the pass cost more than 395 dollars.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.