PDA

View Full Version : editing win 2000 pro startup

SheepFactory
03-06-2003, 01:26 AM
Hi Guys ,

How do I edit my startup in win 2000?

Its loading a lot of useless stuff i cant disable.

Thanks for any help ,

Ali

singularity2006
03-06-2003, 01:39 AM
clear the startup folder

2. start menu > settings > control panel >administrative tools > services > disable what u want to disable here... but be careful not to disable the wrong stuff... u could end up screwing urself pretty badly.

kwshipman
03-06-2003, 01:55 AM
I have the same question. My startup menu is clear of everything. When loging on, it comes up with a logon box that is already filled out then it goes away, and another box comes up saying preparring network connections

singularity2006 - that is good and all but what the heck is that stuff and how do I know what is okay to shut off and what is not?

dvornik
03-06-2003, 02:05 AM
Regcleaner (http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml) is a utility that lets you manage what gets loaded. There are several places other than Startup, such as Run keys in the registry, that load stuff. Other stuff to look for is services - you can disable them manually. There are a couple of guides to services, don't have links to them. Search Google for "services guide windows 2000".

singularity2006
03-06-2003, 02:12 AM
hah, that is a loaded question. What determines what u disable depends on what you do with your system. For me, I disable most if not all of the network services because I use static IP's for everything. Other stuff like multimedia, u can safely change the settings to manual for the following:

Automatic Updates (unless u want to keep this, leave it)
messenger
TCP/IP over NetBIOS Helper
WMDM PMSP Service
Any and all ATI/other video services

But like I said, this is a per user thing... it can be very risky if u start taking out stuff u might need.

Another thing to check up on is all the junk that is loaded in your system tray..... Idealy, you only want to have an audio icon, network icon, and antivirus icon. I've cut it down to just audio and network. Everything else I disable until I need it, or uninstall completely if it is trash.

Check your add/remove programs menu to see if any internet software has installed itself without u knowing. ... that's just a partial list of the stuff u can do to improve performance.

dvornik
03-06-2003, 02:18 AM
Anybody knows how to lock the system tray so installers are unable to add stuff to it? There was a trick to it but I've lost it. You don't even need the network icon in there BTW - I'm a fan of clean interface with no visual garbage.

Adaware is good for detecting spyware and other unwanted stuff.

DaForce
03-06-2003, 03:04 AM
easy, all you need is a copy of msconfig from windows XP and then you can control exactly what program start and what services start.

get msconfig for windows 200o here
http://www.thetechguide.com/downloads/msconfig.zip

unzip it and plonk the exe file in c:\winnt and then goto start then run and type msconfig

the rest is pretty easy to work out.

elvis
03-06-2003, 06:03 AM
anything that's not a service, or in your startup folder generally gets started through the registry entries under \\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

clean up those three major locations and you are laughing. if it's still giving you grief, then it's reinstall time! :)

kwshipman
03-06-2003, 04:49 PM
just found out, be very carefull when messing arround with users and administrators. did some changes restarted, then it said that the password it was tring to automatically login with was wrond, and I had now idea what I made it.:surprised

So lucky me, had to reinstall windows, and get to spend my free time reinstalling all the hardware drivers. I had just spend several days trying to get my scanner to work, now I get to start that all over again:D

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.