PDA

View Full Version : Your ideas needed for a Weekly Creature / Character Design Workshop!

Rebeccak
03-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Your ideas are needed for a Weekly Creature / Character Design Workshop!

Please post your ideas here. What would you like to see? Mike Rollinson, aka default-rol (http://default-rol.cgsociety.org/gallery/336316/), will be running these. Let's get this going!

-Would you like to see separate 2D / 3D Workshops? Or all in one?

-Do you want these to be weekly or monthly?

-What types of themes do you want to see for Creature / Character Design?

-What do you think the guidelines should be?

Please post your ideas and feedback here! Let's get this puppy going. :)

One idea I've been kicking around is getting Zbrush artists to contribute renders for beginning artists to draw from. Or people can come up with their own concepts. What do you guys think?

Mu
03-21-2007, 05:29 PM
first of all: great! another time sink...:scream:

- I'd love to see exercises/workshops which focus on the creation of real life or historical character concepts, too, as opposed to fantasy/sci-fi only.

- I don't know how this would be run, though? Assignments, wip-posting, community based c&c and progress?

- I think it would be cool if it wouldn't focus on fully polished results from the start. noobs like me would definitely benefit from guided creation of sketches and more basic techniques, too (like silhouettes as a starting point for concepts, mass sketching to get creativity going and so on)

over and out

EDIT: BTW, default-rol, so cool! Many thanks...:bounce:

*subscribes*

Rist
03-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Replied through the following quote:

Please post your ideas here. What would you like to see? Mike Rollinson, aka default-rol (http://default-rol.cgsociety.org/gallery/336316/), will be running these. Let's get this going!

I think personally thay they should be combined. I am no 3D artist, but I really do appreciate the use of both 3D and 2D elements, like in Matte Paintings and such. It also gets everyone together, instead of seperating them, which could help on influences and may get people like myself to dab their fingers into 3D a little, and possibly vice-versa. In fact I cannot see a good reason to seperate 2D from 3D in a forum such as this. I understand the need for the Showcase forums, but this kind of thing needs to be combined. I do think a rule needs to be implemented mentioning that you HAVE to say what software packages you used.

I would like to see both! A weekly one to get people occupied and to keep them motivated. And also a monthly one so the community can get to know each others strengths and weaknesses and to form friendships. It is also a chance for people to pull off some really refined pieces that took the duration that a week would not have been possible for.

Everything that does not break the Forum rules. From Fish with wheels that race in Space to Wrms the size of a skyscaper that eats little maggets for breakfast, and then there are the characters, which I think is silly to seperate Characters from Creatures. If it is in the context of say the creatures/enemies in Final Fantasy, and the main 'Characters', then it should be fine. But please do not say that Characters have to be human, as this is both arrogent and restrictive.

Similar to most workshops, original pieces with no tracing etc. But an inclusion of artists and modellers needing to mention the software/materials they used. Also WIP's would be AWESOME for people who learn from the better skilled ones.

One idea I've been kicking around is getting Zbrush artists to contribute renders for beginning artists to draw from. Or people can come up with their own concepts. What do you guys think?

I think there needs to be a little guidence to the concepts, but only very brief, not so much that everyone designs the same thing.

CA.org has something good going, go over and let it inspire ideas. Try to make something unique to this one rather than directly copying. Like for instance the idea of combining both 3D and 2D elements, and having both segments post in the same threads. I do not think CA.org have that yet

Duro
03-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Hey.... great message about new workshop. Would be great, if this one starts...

I think, separate workshops are better, but 3D reference for 2D drawings are really welcome.

I'd like it weekly, if it's possible.... :thumbsup:

I like fantasy and little bit apocalyptic characters. I had some ideas in my head, but it's just still problem in "communication" between head(idea) and hand(idea realisation)...
Currently I have some ideas, one is apocalyptic enviroment after nuclear explosion ( came after watching dokument about Chernobyl and trailer for upcoming game Stalker)... I'd like to draw group of some stalkers everyone with other characteristic, etc....i think more and more ideas will come if this workshop get started...

As absolut beginner, it's hard to come up with some special ideas, I think it should include everything from character ideation (i saw marko djurdjevic dvd and it's really great in this), through figure anatomy, drawing clothes and props to proper shading and texturing, etc....

So that's it.... Hope this workshop will start in short time
Best wishes....

RickBinkley
03-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Anything will be great, weekly and monthly if everyone has the time. Perhaps on a monthly basis you could give a rough description of what the character should look like, or do. Then give some examples, and let everyone's imagination run wild.

I do look forward to whatever is decided. I finally have time now that I graduated from college.

killermachine
03-21-2007, 05:57 PM
i think running then#m the way OFWD's go would be very cool...monthly,2d/3d combined and covering all types of theme's

SylvanMist
03-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Oh this sounds really fun!

-2D/3D combined I think. Let people do whichever they want.

-Weekly means not as much time, so not as many polished finished pieces..but perhaps sketching and practicing is what it's about? Plus you're getting a lot more topics to choose from, if you dont like the current one, just wait 1 week instead of 1 month.
-Monthly means more time to work and improve the 1 drawing..which is nice as well.
Hard choice here, i'm currently undecided.

-Themes..I think anything from scifi/fantasy to realistic fictional characters/creatures would be cool.

-I think it'd be fun if we come up with our own concepts.

Rebeccak
03-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming! :) Also, if you have specific suggestions for our first character and / or creature design Workshop, please post those here as well!

Thanks!

Rist
03-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Creature: Final Boss Character for an action game or an RPG. Humaniod or Wildlife.

Character: Main Hero Character for same game, so RPG/action game.

I think it would be fun to start at these extremes to kick start things. Possibly even make up an imaginary game storyline and then ask people to choose the Hero or the Villain. Then once the deadline has been met it would be interesting to see the various designs on the same story theme.

CgIcecube
03-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Letz keep it short and sweet weekly!..
As well as fully polished and finished monthly?!!
can we have both:hmm:

And let us have a choice of 2D/3D

In guidelines i totally want to go with : I think it should include everything from character ideation (i saw marko djurdjevic dvd and it's really great in this), through figure anatomy, drawing clothes and props to proper shading and texturing, etc....

And for our first character and / or creature design Workshop...Historical warriors?!!Sea creatures?!!Assassin?!!Funny Mutants?!!:hmm:to pick something in particular...letz work on a theme?..

And yes like OFDW letz work together and must post our WIPs!..:)

Mu
03-21-2007, 08:43 PM
OFDW style is totally great, but I must say that I, too, would vote for a shorter period of time, like 2 weeks, just to keep the momentum.

Also, technique oriented topics instead of result oriented topics would be great

examples/suggestions:

- silhouette technique and fleshing it out

- innovative creature design with mass sketching / techniques to find new form languages

- lighting your character / setting up a nice background (esp. for 2D !)

- finding the right details to add

- mixing historical eras to create an original *and* believable approach to fantasy/sci-fi

Corvax
03-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Relating designs might be interesting to explore, say looking at a premade design of a vehicle, building/environment, and designing the characters or creatures that inhabit/pilot such designs.
or doing a series of characters that belong to the same grupe, but have different properties, similar to what we see in a lot of games, comic books etc. Where characters often have different abilities, which has to be explained visually, yet they also need to be relating (or contrasting) visually to one another.

I remember that Francis Tzai did a concept design workshop back when he had his own forum, he did them as four workshops, looking at different milestones within the design process of one single designs. the workshops were layout like this:

1 - exploring silhouette and thumbnailing ideas.

2 - fleshing out, medium detail exploration.

3 - rendering and color design.

4 - turntable drawings.

I think that this way of doing one long workshop, but dividing them into smaller sub-workshops that look at different elements of the design process, might be interesting.

looking forward to the workshops.:)
-David.

Mu
03-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Hi David,...:wavey:

I think your suggestions sounds great!

It would be a case study and thus be attractive to those who want to focus on the result, but at the same time be an opportunity for learning about various techniques that are involved in the process.

in addition, just a few suggestions for a group of people (you mentioned that idea)

- the three musketeers in space

- the medieval expert raiders

- high tech Aztec special squad (:D )

- deep sea aliens and their pet mounts

default-rol
03-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey all,

Thanks to those who have replied so far, there are some really good ideas floating around. I've got a few ideas of my own and I will try to post them up this afternoon when I get a bit more time. I'm very much open to suggestions though, so please keep posting up what you would like to see on these workshops.

Thanks again

MIKE

tazmanian
03-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah ,... As all said I would like keep 2D/3D coz im into both, I can bring up my imaginations in it. I think I like weekly workshop, If I miss one week, I can participate in next week ...thats quick. I like both Creatures and Charactor Designs. I dont have a Idea abt the guidelines guys ...

Hope will get a good worshop soon !! :bounce:

default-rol
03-22-2007, 03:09 PM

That's me!! :surprised

Answer 1: I'd like to see an "all in one" on the workshops. This would give us a niche that would seperate the workshops over on CA. I personally don't want to ape their, far more established, "Character of the week" series. Having the 2d/3d angle would add something different into our mix.

Answer 2: Has anyone considered fortnightly? 1 week idea development, 1 week modeling/texturing? If people could work to those deadlines then you'd have 2 things every month. It'd also stop frying everyone with quickfire rounds. If someone wanted to pursue 1 of the designs/models further then they would only miss 1 round, not 3. And it'd save us from having to think up an idea every week! (I'm very open to other suggestions to this format, of course.)

Answer 3: Themes..... well: mechanoid insects, Femme fatal, Bezerkers, cyborgs, bakemono-roid's, Basilisk riders, (the basilisk to go with the rider, lol) Nomadic tribes, undiscovered jungle dwellers, 18th Century asassins, swashbucklers, pirates of Tibet, bush tucker grubs, water absorbing fish, exoskeletons, armour design... and lots more. (Phew!)

Answer 4: Standard workshop guidelines - these are tried and tested now and they work well.

The ZBrush idea is intresting and would certainly be something worth considering. As I sit more on the "why not design your own - it's more fun" (regardless of how I feel about that sometimes - it holds true 99% of the time :arteest: ) I'm always more intrested in how people solve things themselves. Therefore, I'm more into a "design and develop" theme for this workshop. Of course, I am not saying I'd light the flaming torches if someone just wants to draw other's designs to learn how light interacts with form etc...

Keep the ideas coming everyone - Thanks for the input that others have provided so far, it all helps a great deal. This is trying to be a workshop that people would want to do, so your input is vital to the process.

Cheers :beer:

MIKE

Rebeccak
03-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Great stuff Mike! I like the combined into one / WIP element / separate into fortnightly assignments very much. Let me know when you have the outlines of the Workshop drawn up and then we'll roll. :thumbsup:

Mu
03-22-2007, 03:51 PM
one thing I would like to know, though... is this whole thing noob-friendly?

Which means can you join even if you still can't draw properly?

*looks at his drawings from imagination with a tear in his eye*

or is this kind of a workshop with prerequisite knowledge?

oh, btw

Answer 2: Has anyone considered fortnightly?

:buttrock:

:wise:

:D

default-rol
03-22-2007, 04:35 PM
one thing I would like to know, though... is this whole thing noob-friendly?

Which means can you join even if you still can't draw properly?

*looks at his drawings from imagination with a tear in his eye*

or is this kind of a workshop with prerequisite knowledge?

Good question -

I've personally been drilling my basic drawing (read: eye/mind/hand) co-ordination skills now for over 1 year, but I've not done any sustained "design and make" for a long time. (Even my MA - which was supposed to be this - ended up a "how to make normal maps/texture maps/UV map etc." for me, and not designing specific things. :banghead: )

So I'm in the "feeling my way around" mode, just like you. Don't worry about it anyway, these workshops will be an inclusive and encouraging experience, and not geared towards specific skills levels.

Hope that clears things up a bit :thumbsup:

MIKE :)

Rebeccak
03-22-2007, 04:47 PM
I think the next best step is to draw up a set of rules and guidelines, based on previous Workshops (with the necessary accomodations / modifications, of course) and to post it here to hammer out - then whenever you are ready Mike, feel free to launch. :)

theflash
03-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Wow this sounds really amazing, thanks for taking time for this workshop.

I too think that if workshop is noob friendly, it will draw more people like me. And I agree with all other things mentioned by Michael. But what if student like me can get time in weekend only to work on modelling and texturing? Just wanted to know if I will be able to sustain the load weekly then?

Asatira
03-22-2007, 06:41 PM
I'd like to have it be fortnight schedule. It'll be long enough to discuss the theme, but not so long that people will get tired of it and drop off.

I would also like to have both 2D and 3D. I may not be involved in 3D, but I can definately see how the design workshops can be applied to it. And it's a workshop on design, which can have the presentation in any format that works.

As for the workshop itself, I'd like there to be an element of focused discussion. Definately a little more Q&A than you get in the OFDW, namely because character and creature design is rather different in approach to doing studies. I know that one thing I'm concerned about is thinking creatively, which I feel I've managed to stiffle over the last few years. So exercises to help us creatively is good.

Djampa
03-22-2007, 06:53 PM

All in one.

weekly - holds busy guys like me to not forget it *lol*

a wide variation of Creature / Character types would be nice, from human, almost human (based on human anatomy) to complete extraterrestrial like creatures, this last type most people think it's easier but sure is not, and the process to get something good from it attracts me a lot.

I go with this thread owner (default_rol) own's opinion... the standard guidelines.. I'd leave it up to Rebbeca too.

Great idea, but would be nice to understand the creative process before. I use to sit by Alex Oliver (Alexandre Oliveira) side here and watch him creating some creatures in ZBrush, to draw from his artwork would be great for sure, but to understand how such artists can get to that concept is another thing and it would improve a lot the drawing skills of the audience of this thread. I can't see concept design separated from character/creature creation process.

That will be a great workshop ! I definitely wanna join up here !

Cheers,

default-rol
03-23-2007, 11:05 AM
These are my initial ideas on a set of guidelines for this ongoing workshop series, does anyone have any thoughts please?

CHARACTER/CREATURE-A-FORTNIGHT EVENT (CAFÉ)*

The anatomy forum CAFÉ - a place to meet, share your concepts, ideas and work for the set brief, and then discuss them with like minded individuals.

*provisional title

The purpose of this ongoing workshop series is to develop original character artwork in both 2D and 3D. A theme or brief will be given at the inception point of the workshop, and the project will be executed by the participants during a 2 week period. To have your own idea from the set brief, develop it in 2 dimensions and then execute it in 3 dimensions is very challenging, (especially within the time period,) and helps the artist to understand form “in the round.”

If you are thinking of taking your ideas into 3 dimensions, please decide on a suitable polygon budget (for games/TV/film or as much as your computer can handle!) If you are unsure, please enquire on the workshop and others will try and help. The workshop is application independent, and so anyone can try it. For those of you who would like to try 3d but do not have a package, blender (http://www.blender3d.org/ (http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Home.2.0.html) ) is a very high standard open source 3d application that is free to download and use. However, this will take time to learn.

Duration of projects: 2 Weeks.

Breakdown: (guidelines only – depends on the complexity of the idea and model.)

Concept development and realization - 1 week.*

Model development and texture art - 1 week.*

* You can split up your time however you wish - to reflect the area that you want to work in the most, for example.

The above guidelines are intensive and will require a lot of work. Please look at the amount of time you have available for each project before trying to take on too much. Quality artwork and developing your creative problem solving skills are key here, along with learning how others handled the same brief in conceptual and technical terms.

DELIVERABLES:

These are guidelines only. You can do all the sections or just choose the areas you feel most comfortable with. If you wish to use another persons concept art for a model, then please seek permission to do so from the user. If you just want to create the concept art and don’t mind others using your art work for a fully realized character, please state so in your post. If you are having trouble with an area, please shout up and others will try to help out as best they can.

WIP is encouraged, and please help others by providing your thoughts on their solutions in a positive manner. Discouragement of others will not help anyone as we are all here to get better, and people bring different skills to the table.

1. Concept art >>>

Ideas
Final presentation art (full body character pose, head and image plane orthographics.)
2. Model >>> (high poly cinematic or lower poly real time games character)

Base model (untextured)
Final model (with textures)
Learning outcomes:

How to develop ideas and a final character from a written brief.
Creative problem solving.
How to demonstrate your ideas to others.
Taking 2d artwork in to 3d artwork.
Texture art.
Visual communication skills.
RULES FOR THE WORKSHOP:

1. Work created here MUST be ORIGINAL TO THE CREATOR and for the purpose of serious study of character art and design. Those who post silly or off topic work will have their posts deleted immediately and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread. Rebecca Kimmel reserves the right to determine which pieces are considered to be in poor taste and / or disrespectful in the workshop.

2. This Workshop will run in 2 WEEK slots.

3. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only work which you feel best represents your ideas and important design points you feel others should know about during your character development, even if it is considered unfinished.

4. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.

5. Mike/default.rol and Rebecca Kimmel will be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Workshop should be on Group Critique and interaction.

6. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing or Painting, Sculpture, or 3D Model / Render for the initial stages. Development beyond the initial character idea (stage 2) should be done in a 3D application of your choice.

7. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 800 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please! (you are welcome to offer remote links to high resolution versions of your art work along side images that are of an appropriate size, if you so wish.)

8. Have fun, enjoy, and create great art!

Mu
03-23-2007, 11:35 AM
sounds like a plan, mayun!

I'm in!

Rebeccak
03-23-2007, 01:24 PM
w00t. :) What would be the topic of the first Workshop?

default-rol
03-23-2007, 01:44 PM
w00t. :) What would be the topic of the first Workshop?

"Take something organic and turn it into something mechanical"

This could be biped/quadruped/hexapods, mammal/reptile/anthropod etc. It can have any purpose, e.g. futuristic military vehicle, domestic appliance, pet...

The purpose of the first workshop is to get people looking at organic shapes and working out how to alter those so the overall silhouette reads like the organic thing you have chosen, but on closer inspection it is a mechanical equivalent.

Hint: The Japanese are really good at this... ;)

Sounds good, anyone?

MIKE :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
03-23-2007, 01:48 PM
It's a great idea, I think the key is to make it more specific so as to give people a starting point / frame of reference. The specificity of the Head Hunter Workshop was great, and it also allowed for freedom of interpretation. I say the key is to have the same kind of specific / open to interpretation brief that sparks the imagination the way your Head Hunter description did. :)

It would be good to provide a few references / examples of good concept design as a starting point / fuel for the imagination to go along with the brief. :)

default-rol
03-23-2007, 02:03 PM
I'll try to think up a "story starter" like I did before as a datum point to orientate from. The theme covered by the first event will be what I have outlined above though I think. (I've been trying to do it for a little while myself, and a 2 week timeframe should sort it out and focus me, finally.)

MIKE :D

Duro
03-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Nice idea :thumbsup:.... I'm definitely in it... (hope i can manage my time)

- As Rebecca said, some reference and start point will be fine, in my opinion...

- Should it be purely mechanic in the end, or should we combine organic and mechanical forms, like half human, half machine?

Cheers.:thumbsup::arteest:

Rebeccak
03-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Sounds good, let me know when you're ready and then just go ahead and launch it. :)

Mu
03-23-2007, 03:56 PM
I must say that I am always for strict instructions (ask Rebecca, it's a sort of handicap on my part...:D )

Just so we avoid the "I know it when I see it"-customer-emulation I vote for a specific frame in which to set up our concept.

Otherwise the idea sounds great, Mike...:bounce:

Elaine10
03-24-2007, 01:06 AM

i personally dont mind, but if there are almost equal amount..or large amounts of both workers..Seperating them would seem reasonable. For i don't do both and have no experience with 3D......ya..

Again i don't mind. The amount of tasks and info. should be designed to fit anyone that u choose..So that one can do little or more..depending on their time schedule..Cuz well..not everyone is a student like me..nor does everyone work..?

themes?like evil?hehe..i think doing any kind would help on the overal skills of an artist tho..

depend on the owner of workshop~^^hehe

------------------
i will really look forward to the opening of this workshop! and since im a noob..i also wish that this workshop can be something that i can finnally start from the beginning with..maybe from a bit of basic skills to developing a charater ext..

anyways..thx!!

michael-olszak
03-26-2007, 10:54 AM
I think this work shop is what some of us definitely need and can help up develop our skills in a very good way. The idea is awesome and francly it doesn't matter to me what/ how we do it. as long as this gets rollin :) the first idea is cool. Do we have to wait for your brief or can we start workin? Oh one more thing, 2D only is fine too right??

default-rol
03-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Heya all,

Just a quick post to say I have been struck down with "man flu" since Friday night, and haven't been able to do anything at all since then...

I'll try to get something up and running this week - all being well.

Thanks for the thoughts on the brief everyone, the input always helps!

Djampa
03-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Great ! :)

When it starts ?

cya

PS - (edited) - Hope you recover well from your flu ! I hate flu... cheers,

Pamyla
03-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Both..all in one I suppose

Either or..I need to get started trying something

Im open

Sorry Im not sure but I do want to participate

PamYla

default-rol
03-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Hey everyone,

Sorry i've been ill, but finally my body seems to love me again and is allowing me to move (and think in structured sentences.)

So, without further ado, here is my proposal for the first workshop - I'm testing this idea out here so people can understand the brief. THIS IS NOT THE START OF THE WORKSHOP, YET! :D

CAFÉ 001
"Take something organic and turn it into something mechanical."

Story starter – "The whirring of cogs and the humming of moving parts reverberate in the darkened passageway. I can see blinking lights casting their illumination on the walls ahead. My breathing quickens as I turn the next corner… THERE IT IS!"

How does this sound to everyone? Does that get your imagination going? I hope so. (It certainly does mine.) :D

Cheers

Mu
03-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Does that get your imagination going?

well, to be totally honest, with me it doesn't...:D

I was thinking more along the lines of specific instructions like:

- [organic to mechanical]: 23rd century industrial watchdog

- [organic to mechanical]: Jack the robot ripper

- [organic to mechanical]: Orgasmatron 3000 premium line

- [organic to mechanical]: desert patrol mount

- [organic to mechanical]: submarine bomb disposal vehicle

and so on... all in all: not so vague, but rather specific. But I don't know what the rest of us is thinking...

default-rol
03-29-2007, 03:06 PM

and so on... all in all: not so vague, but rather specific. But I don't know what the rest of us is thinking...

Thanks for replying Mr.Mu and good of you to shout up. :thumbsup:

The reason I am so reluctant to literally write down things in the way you have shown above, is because that format ape's pretty precisely the way it is done over on Concept Art.

The irony is, of course, that all of your ideas above fit the brief very well. :applause: My advice is to literally pick your favourite one and use that as your starting point. Then as soon as the workshop is up and running, you will be too. ;)

Cheers
MIKE

Duro
03-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Well, I think the Mike's proposal or ideation of the character just from piece of story or small thought is the way the workshop should go... sure after getting your ideas right way, it's necessary to get down to the basics of anatomy drawing, texturing, lighting and so on, but what really important is, is creating character ideas from story...sure you can also develop ideas just from straight definition

but i like the story behind...well, actually, in the "darkened passageway" could be everything from the list... and that's the point.

After reading the "story starter" I got already some ideas, but as several times in the past, the realisation is or will be way different as the idea... :sad::cry::banghead: , but that's the reason, why we want participate on this workshop, or?

Asatira
03-29-2007, 03:43 PM
I rather like Mike's prompt, and his explanaition. I like CA's concept threads, but I want something different, with a little more learning to it (ie, discussion as we do things). Namely, I don't want it to be so much like CA's threads. I think I can work with this prompt.

default-rol
03-29-2007, 04:16 PM
I rather like Mike's prompt, and his explanaition. I like CA's concept threads, but I want something different, with a little more learning to it (ie, discussion as we do things). Namely, I don't want it to be so much like CA's threads. I think I can work with this prompt.

I am also thinking like this.

I would love to see transparency in the way that we collaborate. For example I am from an industrial design degree background and we were taught to approach a brief in a particular way. I am more than happy to share this method of how I work, with others. I only hope that others will do the same in return.

What I am less intrested in, is a post of a brilliant final image without an explination of how you got there/ where your ideas came from. Like all great math puzzles, the working out section provides more insights to thought processes than the answer ever shows.

Design is a constant challenge, (for me at least,) and the creative struggle behind what I do always looks more intresting to me in hind sight, than my neat and tidy drawing ever is.

I hope that makes sense.

MIKE

michael-olszak
03-29-2007, 04:23 PM
We should definitely give ourselves a lot of room for creative decisions and ideas. A more detailed brief is cool but not too much details please.

All the rest is ok with me really.

default-rol
03-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the really good feedback RE: this workshop.

Providing I get the green light from RebeccaK, I would like to begin the first workshop on Saturday 31st March.

Hope to see you on the workshop soon.

Rebeccak
03-29-2007, 10:52 PM
I like the broader interpretation direction in which Mike is headed and agree that it's a nice difference from CA. :) It's not to say that specific topics are bad, they certainly aren't, but I liked how the vague / open to interpretation brief of the "Head Hunter" Workshop spawned a lot of different kinds of work.

I say let's go ahead with this one, and potentially throw in some more specific topics down the line. :)

Mu
03-29-2007, 11:12 PM
hi,

I did not know the CA workshops, therefore it did not occur to me to try different approaches.

Of course, like you said, I could always just choose one of those specific ideas to go with.

Like you mentioned, the most important thing for me will be to get some insight into the thought processes of how to tackle a given task, anyway.

See you at the Café...:)

Rebeccak
03-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Sweet Mu, I can't wait to see your participation! :thumbsup:

michael-olszak
03-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Alright! So it's on. We start tomorrow. :)

default-rol
03-30-2007, 03:41 PM
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/2874/anatomyforumheadercomintm5.jpg

Hope to see you there!

Rebeccak
03-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Hehe, very cool! Just remember to spell out what 'fortnight' means, and what the deadlines are very clearly. Looking forward to this! :)

Intervain
03-30-2007, 05:27 PM
that sounds real cool!

hermine
03-30-2007, 07:11 PM

separated

monthly

Intervain
03-30-2007, 08:35 PM
monthly for sure! I'm actually more into combined 2d/3d - it's just tools, and it's the end result that matters IMO

Mu
03-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Just remember to spell out what 'fortnight' means

I thought "a fortnight" always means 14 days?

default-rol
03-30-2007, 09:13 PM
I thought "a fortnight" always means 14 days?

Indeed you are right, Mu. A fortnight is 14 days in duration. Here is a definition of it from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortnight

A fortnight is a unit of time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time) equal to two weeks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Week): that is 14 days (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_E6_s), or literally 14 nights. The term is common in the British Isles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles) and many Commonwealth countries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations), but rarely used in the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States). It derives from the Old English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_English_language) feowertiene niht, meaning "fourteen nights".

I'm sorry for the confusing term, but it is used very regularly here in the U.K. and I didn't think it would be a problem.

Anyway, the upshot of it all is that these workshops will be run in 2 week bursts. Any longer and people seem to loose intrest, (I'm a culprit of this too sometimes.)

Cheers, and see you all tomorrow for the first one.

MIKE

Mu
03-30-2007, 09:22 PM
well, then it's a case of...

We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language.

Oscar Wilde

:D

default-rol
03-31-2007, 11:26 AM
And here it is >>> http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4297693#post4297693

hope to see you there!

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2007, 11:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.