PDA

View Full Version : Texturing???

AndreKling
03-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Hello every one. How can i use multiple textures maps on Max 5?
When i applied the unwrap the mesh didnt appear. How can i separate a map for the face ano one for the body?
Thnks

dosadi
03-06-2003, 12:52 AM
In max you have a couple of choices. Probably the easiest way is to select your mesh and then go into the polygon sub-object mode. Then select all the polygons that make up the head. After that, at the bottom of the rollout right above smoothing groups is your polygon properties. Inside that is an option for material ID. Assign all the head polys to material ID 2 for example and all the rest of the body to Material ID 1. Now when you start to UVW Map the UVW Map Modifier will let you choose a Mapping channel. Use a seperate one for the head and a seperate one for the body. Then when you Unwrap UVW you can select which channel to edit. You will need to use seperate Unwrap Modifiers for each channel. When you are ready to apply a material use a Multi-Sub Object type material (instead of standard) it will have multiple slots each corresponding to a Material ID. Put your head texture in Slot 2 and your body in slot one. Now when you go to edit the individual Materials make sure that your mapping channels correspond in the bitmaps UVW options.
Hope that helps! I did this step by step and I hope I didn't offend you. Let me know if you have any more questions!

AndreKling
03-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Well thanks very much. I already knew that, but your step by step was very clear :) The problem was thatr i cant aply unrwap UVW in a mesh version. I converted to polys and worked fine :) Well thanks very much anyway.
What mean texture with a power of 2?
Andre

Hellwolve
03-06-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by AndreKling
<SNIP>What mean texture with a power of 2?
Andre

I can help with that. It means the texture size needs to be 64X64, 128X128, 256X256 etc.

That's, IIRC, only for games though.

AndreKling
03-06-2003, 10:55 AM
Ok i tried do like that but doesnt work... :(
I aplied a Multi Sub Object texture on my model and i have tho IDs 1 and 2. I put a jpeg in each ID.
I aplied an UnwrapUVW in order to poen the mesh. Here comes my question, I have aplie 2 unwrap? I tried but when i aplie a second unwrap for the head it destroys the uvw that i aplied for the body : (...
Please somebody help.
Andre

wanzai
03-06-2003, 11:04 AM
There is an extra forum for application specific questions...

Anyway. Mat-IDs controls what materials are applied on which surfaces of an object and Map-Channels determine how the maps are being projected. They are completely different things. Check the manual for details.

To preserve existing UVs, simply use subobject-selection before you apply new UVs. MeshSelect and VolumeSelect are available for this.

CogsOrchish
03-09-2003, 02:18 AM
Does anyone know how to do this in XSI??? Ive been all over the place looking for the tutorials on it. Thanks in advance.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.