PDA

View Full Version : treaded hummer [ut2k3 mod] [wip]

flaagan
03-05-2003, 09:17 PM
o.k.... take two on this model. this time around i got some better concept art and the project lead and myself are in agreement on the looks.

i'll have the concept art up soon but for the time being i'll give you a quick run-down. the treaded hummer is made of pieces of hummers and SUV's, with tank treads and an Ahbrams turbine engine for power. It's part of the poor class of racers / vehicles for an UT2k3 mod (called R3) that i'm working on with some classmates (http://www.fuzzywoto.org/).

screenshot of wip
http://studioflaagan.com/images/3d/treadedhummer2/th1.jpg

quick rotation gif (~700k)
http://studioflaagan.com/images/3d/treadedhummer2/rotation.gif

what i'm askin for is any places you can see that i can improve the move / more effeciently use up my polycount (limited to 2000) / improve the geometry so it'll look more like a treaded hummer. everything that you see on the rotating gif is as it's supposed to be (except the tail wing, that's still up in the air amongst the powers-that-be in the club). so you know the in-game camera will be above and behind the vehicle (similar to a 3rd person shooter).

cant think of anything else to mention right now so please comment / suggest / rip away~

dosadi
03-06-2003, 03:36 AM
I have two concerns. The tecnical aspect of the modelling seems good so far. However, how will you animate the treads moving? You dont seem to have enough geometry to do it. I don't even how you would do that in UT2K3. Also just a design idea. Can treads really keep up with a jet engine? Wouldn't you end up just ripping 'em off? That aside it looks like its coming along well. I think you have enough polys to add some side windows. Although if you think you can get away with it texture you should.
HHope that helps.

Gibbz
03-06-2003, 05:30 AM
would be easy to animate, jsut have a movin uvw coord setup in ut2k3 whihc is very east to setup, shure theres no movment then but it will do the job

RmachucaA
03-06-2003, 05:37 AM
XSI Rocks :-)

Witchy
03-07-2003, 02:08 PM
I think there are a few technical issues, depending on whether you want to model 'real' tracks.

The tracks do not appear to be sufficiently connecting with the road wheels to have enough torsion or stability not to rip off as you go round bends etc. With that setup you are losing a large amount of drive from the road wheels and a large amount of return stability.

Tracks are also very heavy and are rarely that tight on armoured vehicles, this is to allow for speed change and acceleration, but also a consequence of being made up of a number of links; your tracks look like a solid mass. If you have a look at a few pictures of tracked vehicles you will see there is a distinctive track droop between individual road wheels. Individual track links take a couple of people to haul around in RL, even the track pins themeselves are heavy. The model seems to lack weight in this area.

The front and rear sprockets are in the right place and connect well with the tank and track, but as the drive is translated to the drive wheels I think you will end up with a very unstable setup. A design like that would make track shedding a real problem.

I'd say you might want to consider the 'jacked up' look, the size of the road wheels and the weight of the track. On vehicles of this size you also see dual track setups (front and rear) to allow for a tighter turning circle and that might be a way forward if you want one end much higher than the other. If you do want small road wheels you could always go for a different mechanism such as seen on some WW2 tanks like the M3 Grant.

Tumerboy
03-07-2003, 04:00 PM
Dosadi & Witchy, Hey, I think you both made some great points, and normally Witchy I would be right there with you, because I'm kind of anal about military and mechanical realism, and it bugs me how most people just seem to ignore all of that and do what they think looks cool even if it wouldn't work.

Unfortunately in this instance I too am working on the project, and what you may not know is that all of the models are designed to be kind of cartoony and fake. We're going to try to put realistic textures on the models, but the models themselves are not meant to be realistic.

I've talked with James and others about adding upper support rollers and tread sag, but I think that in the end this will work fine. So, while I would normally totally agree with you, at this point I think that James is on the right track. (no pun intended.)

Witchy
03-07-2003, 04:07 PM
:cool:

flaagan
03-08-2003, 06:13 AM
cool.
here's the ref's i worked off of.
http://studioflaagan.com/images/3d/treadedhummer2/hummerconcept1.jpg
http://studioflaagan.com/images/3d/treadedhummer2/hummerconcept2.jpg
http://studioflaagan.com/images/3d/treadedhummer2/hummerconcept3.jpg

the tail wing and a few other details were taken from some other quick concept pieces the concept artist had shown me for the treaded hummer.
as for the treads, i've put in a ~6 sided poly in the gap that (with a transparency / texture map) will take care of the framework to visually hold the tracks in place.

witchy: yah, figured i should of mentioned the cartoony style, sorry for the confusion

gosadi: gibbs is right about the moving uv mapping, that's been the intention since the start. as for engines, the Abrahms turbine motors (same ones that you see in some helicopters) power the tank's treads like a regular gas motor, obviously the builder of the car would limit it's power output and secure the treads down so the treads don't go flying off at high speeds (as they would on an Abrahms).

RmachucaA: yes it does!

hope this answers questions (and brings on more). i'll get some more screenshots up once i get the model approved / finalized / start on the UV mapping.

flaagan
06-03-2003, 07:06 AM
chrissakes.. totally forgotten about this thread.

well. the mod's "done"...
currently finishing touches (coding stuff) has been put on the back burner as the Game Club's moved on to our next project (we take the stance of "it's done when the deadline says it is", and leave finishing up projects that have fallen short to those that feel dedicated, in this case the coders and some level design cleanup). anyhow, the hummer...

well.. look here http://www.studioflaagan.com/images/3d/r3racing/

hummer model renders (from xsi) and the texture maps. the three maps consist of the main body, a slide-able texture (forgot the correct term) so that when the vehicle moves it appears as if the treads and wheels are moving, and the cross-frame work (has a transparency map) for a visual form of support for the wheels and treads.

the other model in that folder is of the other vehicle i worked on, called the Fat Wheel. the vehicle and its wheels share one texture.

[as a side note, the hummer was intended to be a vehicle shlopped together out of pieces by a poor-side racer, while the fat wheel is a rich-side ride]

the textures on both vehicles were rushed (particularly the hummer's) and i'm not too happy with the results.:shrug:

if i'm able to coax some 'in-game' screen shots any time soon i'll post them up here. as always, crits and comments always welcome.

LostSoul╣13
06-03-2003, 08:16 AM
I dont know maybee its just me but why would the traks be bent in this area arent they suposed to folow smoothly across the weeles? I dont think this can rotate without braking.

Ebola0001
06-04-2003, 05:57 PM
oh and i would like to throw in that the m1 abrams is powered by a jet turbine...

its called gear reduction people... the jets arent used for thrust but for drive line torque

just thought i would throw that in... so i don't have a problem with the jets sticking out the back

oh and since it IS racing maby they are rubber treads... and thus a solid mas stretched tightly like a drive belt or something...

end point its not real... but, could it be?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.