PDA

View Full Version : Animation Reel

Booyah
03-21-2007, 04:18 AM
This is some work I did about a month or so ago. Had to do all the animation in less than 2 weeks so some of it is a little rough but this is what I turned in. This is my first finished work so any and all advice would be great. Enjoy!

http://www.animatormark.com/Video/AnimationReel.mov

MayLow
03-21-2007, 04:37 AM
I am not very experience in animation. So, dont take it too seriously,
this is what I think:

Alot of still frame. End of movement should have a slow out, or settle down.
so, it wont look like it freeze on the spot.

secondly, cut in action. When you have freeze frame at the end,
cut your film before your freeze frame.

The most I like were the Sneaking. I love the move so much and the poses.
You have a very good poses for it. I love it. But, timing little bit weird to me.
I dont know why. :(

Hope those points help.. and Is it good enough for less than 2 weeks work.
I cant do that though. :(

chriswelsby
03-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi,

I am also not a very experienced animator, a recent graduate in fact. I agree with the previous post about the pauses in the pieces. Something i have learned is the dead pixel rule, its is really important to make sure that some part of your character is always moving. It only needs to be a very small amount, if the character is completely still the illusion of life is lost.

Inyour more dynamic pieces you have some strong key poses, however i would maybe consider looking at the timing and weight on some of them. With the baseball pieces i think it would help to add some and anticipation and reaction to the movement, then you could really speed up the actual movement. I think this would help make the sequence a lot more dynamic.

U got a lot of work there for two weeks work though! Good luck with your animations, and congrats on some good stuff.

Chris

dude5487
03-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Why does your name sound familair? UAT student?

Good so far. Like others have said could use a lot of clean up work. Refine it a lot more.

This for associate or bachelor level?

Keep it up!

NickWhitmire
03-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Highly recommend makin the file size smaller.....takes waaaaaaaaayyyy too long to load. Unless my comp blows..but it seems a bit huge. Squeeze that stuff!

Booyah
03-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all your Crits. I will take full advantage and make my next animations that much better. I agree with you all have said.

MayaZues: The file sze is 21mb, I think one reason is that the video has to load entirely before it plays instead of watching as it downloads. Not sure how to fix that. Any tips on that or compression techniques would be great.

Dude5787: Close to UAT. Just down the street Collins College, I think we're rivals (GRRRR) This would be Associate level work. I will be graduating at the end of the summer though and I'm thinking about using some stuff from this one but cleaning it up a lot more. Thanks.

dude5487
03-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Lol rivals huh? I dunno dont hear much about it at my school. But I could see it. Anyway...

You should also explore the possibility of going with newer ideas and do new animation. You will hopefully get better this way and not be looking at the same work forever.

I have advice on the file size. If you are using quick time dude USE CLEANER XL! :). Do you have that at Collins? Another option, and not nearly as efficient as Cleaner XL is to open the file in After Effects and export it out with lower quality.

Ooorrrr, you could also use Flash, there will be people who give you slack about, things like "everyone doesnt have Flash", well not everyone can play .mov either. Flash is great because its extremely efficient and can play right off the bat while buffering, oh and After Effects exports for that too.

If you need any help or advice PM me or email me. More then happy to help.

Good luck!

mistasam02
03-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Hey, just watched the reel, and if I was an employer, I'd turn it off after the first animation. Always remember to put your best stuff first (which at the moment I think is the sneak/tiptoe, even thought it's a work in progress). Everything needs a ton of work! As was said above, keep your characters alive! Moving holds, breathing (subtle spine rotation), etc. Also work on arcs! Whenever your people are moving arms up and down make sure they're moving on a smooth path. Right now everything is really poppy. Speed up a lot of it too! The pitch needs some work too.. more exageration with the anticipation and a quicker throw. In my opinion, get that sneak all splined out and you can keep it for your reel, but the rest really needs reworking. Hope this helps ya! Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2007, 09:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.