PDA

View Full Version : Primary character from my story

Julez4001
03-31-2002, 07:32 AM
Well she is going on 1 1/2 years old now, maybe older. Haven't did much with her. I guess things have been good for me in the business that I been busy. But I can get time to update her. Here you go.
http://www.cyke.com/julez/animz/syberzha2.jpg

popnGEAR
03-31-2002, 08:42 AM
Nice, i likey. The only thing i would say is the hair needs some antialiasing, it's a little small around the knees, and on the left picture she's got lazy eye :p

stephen2002
04-01-2002, 03:25 AM
That looks good. The only thing that really needs improvement is the focus on the eyes, they both appear to be looking at nothing, and in different directions :) and the texture on the skin. Looks too plastic.

FrageNSTEIN
04-01-2002, 05:36 AM
I like it alot. The skin is ok i think if it is your style, but should be less specular probably if it a photoreal attempt. I would also like to know what prog u used, and what method for hair (I had a big failure recently with hair).

D

beej
04-01-2002, 06:24 AM
looks really good. I dig your use of materials & textures. maybe the goggles could use a little detail, they seem like an after thought..

Julez4001
04-01-2002, 06:41 AM
beej -
The goggles were.

stephen2002
Yeah Shes old character..haven't touched her in a long time...she's fridged now :-)

FrageNSTEIN
I am using Lightwave 7.
To the hair no matter if you are using XSI or Maya, its basically make a flat poly strip (6 segments).
Set UV coordinates - y planar
Load up two images - the Hair and a transparent map (usually a gradient from black to white with the edges of the hair outlined.)

Bend and shape the hair. clone and place, clone and place..clone and place etc until you get your shape.

http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/3ddocs/hair/index.html
This is the closet thing i can remember that is similar.

keep up the critiques guys

FrageNSTEIN
04-01-2002, 09:54 AM
That is what I thought. I did mine same way, but for some reason Brazil, which I always render in, would not render the transparency map properly, and I did not wanna use scanline in max.

D

Julez4001
04-01-2002, 07:59 PM
Is Brazil a separate app or a plugin for Max. Do you have clipmapping as well as transparency mapping that may make alternate application to the process.

Joel Hooks
04-01-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by FrageNSTEIN
That is what I thought. I did mine same way, but for some reason Brazil, which I always render in, would not render the transparency map properly, and I did not wanna use scanline in max.

D

You have to use the Brazil texture for it to render transperency properly. At least in the public Alpha version.

FrageNSTEIN
04-02-2002, 12:12 AM
Naturally, and I did.

1st ?: Brazil is a renderer (plugin) for max.

2nd ?: I DID use brazil material, but even with spec and gloss maps, brazil still left some gloss on the tranparent spots, making it look like hair fading to glass.

D

Julez4001
04-02-2002, 12:30 AM
Take the specular off completety.
It happen to me before.
Use lumiosity and painted specularity on the image in the color channel.

Also render with raytrace lights and not shadow maps.

FrageNSTEIN
04-02-2002, 03:58 AM
Can't raytrace lights in this release of brazil, maybe next release. And I hate max scanline. I am seeing VRay as the best alternative till the next Brazil release, but currently I am trying to work past some VRay probs.

D

urgaffel
04-02-2002, 11:32 AM
The current release of Brazil (public alpha 0.2.26) doesn't support opacity maps.

And there's nothing wrong with the scanline, you just have to know how to use it.

Julez4001
04-02-2002, 05:49 PM
Not that there is anything wrong with Lightwave rendering engine (its really a pretty engine), but soemtimes i wish LW allowed for use of different rendering engine.

Messiah Studio Adavance 4b has different rendering algorithms it uses ..i think its 5 or 6 different types.

Julez4001
04-02-2002, 11:12 PM
http://www.cyke.com/julez/animz/talk.avi

June 21 2001

She has a lot of errors but feel free to critique.

no audio

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.