PDA

View Full Version : Combustion Schematic???

NESEL*
03-05-2003, 08:19 PM
What the hell is that???
On a Flint or Flame...its native, and working.

But i just tried it into Combustion...im crashing all the time.
And its not working very well.
Also, its soooooo slow.

Anyone like it here?
Anyone whos using it?
Some tricks to share?

LESEN*aka*NESEL

Chris
03-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Its just another way of looking at your scene, it can do one or two things the layer view can't (have a look in the manual - its well documented). I generally only use it to re-wire an alternative background into a mask, particle or paint operator; also to instance layers.. thats about it though...

Oh! I also use it to impress clients, guaranteed, you just say 'This comp is turning out to be a lot harder than I thought' them pop up the schematic -Whammo, instant impressed client - (it looks a lot more complicated than it is...) :)

NESEL*
03-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Hehehehehehehe so funny.
I'll try it with the next client!!!!!!:thumbsup:
But since i have use layers, i almost do not need
to use it, theres no real advantages.
Its really not like on a Flame, its very very slow.

I'll read the manuals about it tonight.

Thanks

LESEN*aka*NESEL

nuke
03-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Combustion tries to be a node/layer-based composition application at the same time.

Combustion eats RAM like hell when compared to Shake. And it crashes often. But.. it is a gateway to Flame/Inferno systems.

Hey, what happened to your Nuke enthusiasm? Got bored? ;)

dmeyer
03-05-2003, 11:11 PM
c2 slows because anytime you scrub the timeline while in schematic, it must update every preview window in your entire comp. For better stability and huge speed gains (not to mention usability) use the Group Nodes function.

I do love the instant client impression factor though!

NESEL*
03-06-2003, 01:58 AM
Not at all, Nuke is very interresting, its just that im FORCED to use C2 @ the job...:thumbsdow I was working with SHAKE before this job...:buttrock:
And im still using Shake for any personal project...

Nuke is very different than Shake, so the learning curve is kinda high, be awared.:D

I've just got hyped with the C2 Schematic today...bul%$&*.

EZ

LESEN*aka*NESEL

Hugh
03-14-2003, 02:03 AM
The schematic is great to work with (I much prefer working with nodes), but there are a few things that are really bugging me (and I'm only using the demo here....)

To bring properties of a node up, you double click... However, if you triple click by mistake, it replaces your schematic view with that of the node you're clicking on...

It's really hard to select the output section of a node - I keep trying to click and drag to make a connection, but end up just moving the node around.....

GrantKay
03-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Nesel,

Like all applications they are different and also operate differently.

No one said the schematic in combustion was identical to Flame/inferno. LEt me remind everyone that Flame/Inferno are node based compositors (like shake/DF/nuke). Combustion is a layer based compositor (After Effects).

As for the schematic, it is an emulated node view of your layer based composite. It is fully editable and you can use it without having to refer to the workspace panel. It is native to the software because it is not a plug-in and whatever is done in the schematic affects the workspace panel plus dynamically updates the workflow.

However I am wondering about your setups you are using because the schematic does not crash for no reason.

The icons for each operator have a picture and every time you go to a new frame, combustion caches each individual operator icon. And this will make the software slow.

To use the schematic efficiently I suggest the following:

In your preference menu, choose schematic preferences.

Turn off, create thumbnail for new nodes and check display thumbnails for Footage and Composites only.

What this means is that when you create a new workspace/composite, combustion will only show thumbnails for the footage and the composites (Which is what your really need).

Change these settings now in your existing composite and go to the schematic. Select all the nodes (CTRL-A) and hit "T" keystroke.

This will close all the operator thumbnails and your schematic will speed up dramatically because it does not need to refresh every node for each frame.

Regards
Grant

Discreet UK

dmeyer
03-14-2003, 11:57 AM
hey Grant,

Any chance in discreet moving c2 more in the direction of the node based approach? The only thing keeping us from letting our Shake licenses lapse (on our desktop stations) is that the workflow is soooo nice.

NESEL*
03-14-2003, 12:57 PM
Thank you very much Grant, it worked perfectly, even tho i still think that C2 scematic is not working well...

Thanks again...

best regards

LESEN*

GrantKay
03-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Hey Guys,

This is the first implementation of the schematic for combustion so there will be lessons to be learnt from it. It's not perfect but we can certainly keep pushing to get it there.

Shake/DF are node compositors from the bottom up so they have to be utterly perfect because there is no other way of working in them.

Combustion has the layer based compositing which works fine. We have been taking everyones feedback into account with regards to every aspect of combustion and all of this information is logged and reviewed for the future..

Thanks
Grant

Discreet UK

NESEL*
03-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Very good news then...you guys @ Discreet should push the Node based composite for low-end systems....because there will be no more Shake very soon.

Hoping a miracle....

LESEN*

Hugh
03-14-2003, 05:40 PM
You looked at Digital Fusion (http://www.eyeonline.com)?

beaker
03-14-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by NESEL*
because there will be no more Shake very soon.

I think you are mistaken. Maybe you meant no shake for windows?

NESEL*
03-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Beeker: Are you serious with youre question or is it a bad joke?:hmm:

I know about DF, but Shake for now is Unreplacable...:love:

LESEN*

beaker
03-14-2003, 10:14 PM
>>Beeker: Are you serious with youre question or is it a bad joke?

Maybe this is a language barrier misunderstanding.

Shake is still being developed and shipped for linux, irix and osx. They only cancelled it on windows.

NESEL*
03-15-2003, 02:08 AM
Thank you for the details, i know all this already.
So except DF there will be no more Real NodeBased Comp ON WINDOWS.

sorry

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.