PDA

View Full Version : .obj File problem

Todd2Harry
03-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Is there a way to import an .obj file into Maya without it looking like garbage?

I modeled a character in XSI specifically so I could bring it in to Maya and rig and animate it to get oriented with the tools. I didn't want to have to learn everything at the same time in maya so I figured I'd start with the stuff I am relatively good at. The problem is that once I have finished the model and imported it each polygon seems to have its own "unique" lighting property, in short it looks terrible. Heres an example

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d93/Xe2rx2es/Before-and-after.jpg

anything more "complex" than a primitive gets all messed up. And its not only in Maya that this happens either, it's the same in 3ds and XSI. I have had this problem with other peoples .obj files so its "reassuring" in the way that i am not the only person with this problem but I want to know;

Is this just a problem with .obj files in general or am I doing something wrong?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2007, 09:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.