PDA

View Full Version : 3DS Max Rig - Help Please

Isia
03-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Hello everyone.

I am currently studying an animation course at college and have come up to the point where I need to rig and skin my character. After several failed attempted at rigging, I started to follow the built in Max 8 tutorial for a complex rig.

So far this has worked well for me, except when I came to skinning. For those who are not familiar with this tutorial, it takes you step by step on how to create the automatic wrist twisting based on the hand controls rotation (which is a simple NGeon spline). The problem I am having is that the chracters right hand side forearm skin is twisting in on itself as soon as I rotate the hand control negative x. The other side works fine (the side the tutorial runs you) so my guess is that I have the axes the wrong way round in the script controller.

Unfortunately I have not had much experience in 3D software, let alone rigging, and so I am completely stumpted on how to fix this. Unfortunately I can not get any pictures at this time as I am at home, but I will post some when I next go into college.

Does anyone know what is causing this, or how to fix it?

On a side note, I would also like to ask how you all learnt to rig, as so far following a tutorial is only teaching me how to rig the character in hand, not how to rig, if you understand. Any pointers on techniques/links to sites or such would be wonderful :)

Thank you all in advance, any help will be very much appreciated.

KielFiggins
03-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Hey man, i perosnally havent done that tutorial, but if your doing wire parameters you might need to set the equation to be -(X Rotation) , instead of just X Rotation

As for learning to rig, try some of these sites:
http://www.3dfiggins.com/side_page.php?id=68#setupref

Atop that, on a animation/setup preference, i dont like my forearm twists connected to the rx of the hand controls.

2 reasons:
-When the wrist hits gimbal (and it will) your forearm is gonna spaz out
-With a seperate control you can add slight overlap and tension that automation does not

my 2 cents.

Isia
03-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Thank you for the reply KielFiggins.

I did actually find a solution to the problem I was having, it turned out that when I duplicated the hand control, the pivot point was the wrong way round. Aligned the pivot point to the wrist twisting, it seems to work fine. I am not quite sure why, but it does work now.

I am very interested in your reasons why you do not like the automated twisting. The tutoral I followed does infact set up manual wrist twisting first (but on the same control) and the auto twist is put in after as an extra.

It does seem to me that all this is overly complicated or is this a standard part of rigging?

Thank you for the links too, I will be sure to go through them :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2007, 06:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.