PDA

View Full Version : HMC 8 -- King Leonidas

Vicktorious
03-20-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm going to go crazy here and go for the extremely difficult here. Having never done an actual human model (human like but no human), this would be fun enough, but yet let's raise the pot by choosing one with limited recources for reference images yay! Nah I figured noone else would be this reckless so I shall have the best Leonidas no matter what!

Time to download every single trailer I can find. Fun times. Best o Luck guys and gals.

Vicktorious
03-21-2007, 02:08 AM
After finding what I couldfor reference images, I started on the face first. I'm unsure yet if I'm going to do a full body or not, I would like to, but for now it will be a torso unless I have time to go all the way. Just a little bit of box modeling, My first human face so I'm taking it slow, At this point it's been roughly an hour and a half or two hours of modeling. Will go in on detail and fix areas once I finish the head. Have never done a beard in my life so I picked a good one to get foundation on since Leonidas is pretty much all beard.

Face is too narrow, eyes a tad too big, but it'll get fixed once I finish the low poly box. a couple areas actually started as Russel from Gladiator, but when I changed my mind on who to model out, I took a few pieces to save a couple minutes like eyebrow ridge, the sleep circle under the eye (which isn't very good yet). Going to try to keep this as detailed of a WIP as i can.

SantoAnderson
03-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Oh, if you do Leonidas you have to do the whole model, muscular man-boobs and all. Have you seen those things??? That'll make the ladies swoon.

As for suggestions, look for pics of Gerard Butler without a beard (because Leonidas' is friggin huge). I've found in the past that modeling the character bald and hairless is best. If you just go straight into modeling the character with a beard you'll get some proportional issues. You might have better luck searching for screen caps from Dracula 2000, Lara Croft 2, etc, or troll the Gerard Butler fansites.

Good luck.

Vicktorious
03-21-2007, 03:55 AM
"Troll the Gerard Butler Fansites" This comment alone makes me scared to get fameous.

Back on subject. I agree fully about modeling bald at first, but since his beard is so thick, the bearded areas are going to be rough around the edges. Might refine them at a later point.

Vicktorious
03-21-2007, 06:17 AM
I got bored and decided to see roughly what it would look like with beard and hair. Not yet a perfect resemblance, but it'll get there.

Bald - - - - - Short beard (personal referencing not in movie) - - - Long Beard (Movie Style)

harshdesign
03-21-2007, 06:52 AM
all the best to you too! :)

Vicktorious
03-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Ok I could use some outside opinions at this point. Having never done a Human face, I really have no idea how this is progressing to this point. Do you guys see any real problem points? I don't want to get too far along and have an issue come up or be pointed out where I'll have to basically redo everything from this point on.

BTW: this is roughly 4 and a half hours of modeling. (Movies are distracting while modelling and then the God of War breaks always last an hour longer than planned.)

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5961/face45houren1.gif

Vicktorious
03-21-2007, 03:07 PM
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/6355/face6hourbs2.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9743/face6hourot7.jpg

And the Low Poly Head is almost complete. It's taking me forever because I keep going pausing to try different things. Still not quite looking right, but maybe it'll look better after I get some sleep (Curse you god of war for taking away my sleep time.).

But now that there's other King Leo's maybe I can get some ideas flowing. Oh man how I wish I had started doing human characters sooner. My chances are growing slimmer and slimmer with all these experienced modellers popping their heads in. C'mon Lady Luck throw me some beginners luck.

Vicktorious
03-22-2007, 02:32 AM
I've had Zbrush for about a year and I've never actually used it or bothered to learn it so I think I'm going to use this as a chance to learn the software since most people swear by it and I can tell that it's extremely powerful for fine details.

Finished the Low poly head / neck, not worth an updated picture really as it's only 10 minutes work beyond last screenshot. Sitting right around 6 hours of work at this point, and depending on how long it takes me to become familiar with zbrush will depend on if I'm going to do full body or not. I would love to do full body, but that time limit is looking more and more depressing on my end.

Vicktorious
03-22-2007, 07:53 AM
My initial Zbrush playing. It's looking somewhat better, though I fubared the eye sockets. Here it is imported into maya and put next to old heads. (2 on right are Zbrush, one with beard one without which the beard is just reference purposes).

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4518/face8hourht5.jpg

And here we are inside of Zbrush which looks better since it wasn't exported out.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/6185/face8hourzbrushnd2.jpg

Diabolos
03-22-2007, 08:50 AM
I think you should add a couple of more loops to your base mesh to define the facial features just a bit more, I have also noticed that you have a couple of edges that are not completed (making a "T"), this will is what causes those extra faces in your sudD conversion.

D,

Vicktorious
03-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Slowly coming along. Learning software is fun yay. Anyways before I head out to work I just wanted to post an update from this morning. Haven't really done anything to the mouth yet, Just kind of working from top to bottom of the face. Need to fix the eyes up a bit, make the curve a bit steeper on the outside. Any suggestions on stuff that needs to be fixed are Highly appreciated.

Diabolos - Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'm going to have to do that. Getting a few small artifacts while working in Zbrush, but for now I'm just going to go with the flow while I get acquainted with the software. Then I may alter the base mesh and go back through from scratch to get things looking pristine.

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/4610/untitled3ix8.jpg

Vicktorious
03-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Small update, a few details here and there. Not finding much time to work on this. It's Coming along. I think I'm going to figure out how to put in the beard and hair next. Wish I had more experience with Zbrush, Please any tips on hair / beard would be greatly appreciated.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7620/face10hourst6.jpg

Edit: Out of boredom and to get an idea of what it looks like with beard and hair and to see how well the details so far export out into maya. Also to see what how well it looked with maya render. I decided to toss it into maya, throw some eyes in, and toss the beloved placeholder beard onto him and actually I'm happier than I thaught I'd be. Still have alot of work to do, but closer than I thought. Let me know what ya think.

Edit Again: The eyes are from one of my older models and I'm just using it for a Filler right now. They aren't going to be in final version. Figured I'd mention that real fast so noone thinks I'm trying to sneak in a shortcut or something.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4569/facetestrender1kb6.jpg

Vicktorious
03-30-2007, 06:07 AM
No update as of yet, because everything I try I hate with a passion. I'll probably go back into Zbrush at a later date, but as of right now, I'm too frustrated with Zbrush due to my noobness with the program. If only Alias and Pixologic would get together and make like a Zbrush plugin for maya or a maya camera system plugin for zbrush. A new perspective camera system would enhance Zbrush's capabilities tenfold and possibly end my frustration.

As for now, I'm going to go back into maya and try to get some hair working (this will be my first experimentation with hair so bear with me, but the same goes for Zbrush and that didn't turn out too horribly.). I'm choosing not to go with a polygon mesh for hair as it is wonderful for a sculpture look, That's not something that I really want right now. I plan for this to be as real as possible, and when the deadline starts drawing close, that'll be when I cut corners. hopefully by then I'll nearly be finished anyway and the detail level that I'll be at will purely be cosmetic and non crucial.

If you have any good tips or good tutorials for hair in maya, I would name my first, second and fourth born after you (already promised the third away.).

Vicktorious
04-01-2007, 06:14 AM
Worked on a helmet some to further give myself reference to the faces shape.
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1474/helmetfacecc7.jpg

From here I can see that I need to tuck in the jaw line a ways, raise the outer edges of the brow and a few minor tweaks. I may go ahead and pose an aggressive look instead of rigging, unsure yet.

haven't had much time to work on this though, only like 2-3 hours working off and on. I'm done moving for the most part so I "should" have more time. More to come

Vicktorious
04-01-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm almost happy with the face mesh. Again, this hair and beard is temporary until I figure out how I want to accomplish them. Just place holders. Skin tone is also just a placeholder, haven't done any real texturing yet.

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/5154/face6bw1.jpg

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/898/face6withhelmdo1.jpg

Now that I'm satisified with the face mesh, I think its time to either build the body or take the helmet into Zbrush to detail the chips and cuts. Unsure if I want him pre or post eye scar.

Edit:

How would it look if I merely added in hair and beard with the diffuse and bump maps? Or would that count against me since this is a modeling competition? Never done a face texture before so bear with me if it looks like total crap at first. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Vicktorious
04-03-2007, 11:47 PM
Just started on the body, It's a bit overdone right now, but I'll tone it down little by little till it looks right. Not done with head yet, just going forward with the bust.

Vicktorious
04-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Now that i'm somewhat familiar with Zbrush and the process between zbrush and maya, Here's a real update.

Didnt post any progress up till now because I wasn't sure if this was how I wanted to go, but I'm just going to go with it. So here's the progress to date.

First I took all the progress I had in Zbrush up till now and exported the basemesh back into maya, Took the ears out of the origional mesh as they had been roughed up in the Zbrush process. Added in a base for the hair for Zbrush. I've decided to go with actual polygon hair instead of maya hair follicles or bump mapping it in. Made some tweaks to the mesh to re match references for a restart and then took the body mesh I had just built and connected it. I then posed it out with a temporary rig (rig is already deleted). A very rough rig because I'm going to fix the topology issues in Zbrush. Then I roughed out some legs, since musculature(sp?) will be added in Zbrush I wasn't too in depth in detail and only used reference for general size and shape. Then put in another temporary pose, posed the legs out roughly and here I am.

As you can see, I'm trying to do as much as I can in Zbrush to get the best feel for the program as I can get. I'm unsure if i'm going to use an actual dynamic set up for the clothes yet or just model it out. That'll come later.

As far as the actual pose, I'm choosing the scene where Leonidas breaks away in front of the 300 and one attack in particular when he runs a persian through with his spear, however I may still do the bust instead of full body. Just experimenting for now since I have some of the props built already.

From here, It's time for a huge Zbrush expedition.

Vicktorious
04-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Here's my initial body shaping. Haven't worked up to the face yet and the the bodies left side is a bit more detailed than the right, but it'll all work out as I progress up the divisions.

http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/5131/initialbodyshapinglm1.jpg

*Side Note*

I need some help. In Zbrush, it'll cut you off on dividing when you hit a certain #. How do I raise that number? Thanks in advance.

GArriola83
04-04-2007, 05:32 PM
you can mirror your deformations by going under transform and look for X,Y,Z,M buttons, those are the axises that can mirror your sculpting. also the feet and hands look too small. the hand is at least as big as the human face.

Vicktorious
04-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Ththanks for the tip, however I meant when it says "subdividing the mesh would result in a higher poly count than specified." It says I can raise the # of Polygon in preferences:Mem, however everything I try yields the same result. At the level I'm at now, when I try to do say wrinkles in the forehead or the naseal lavial fold (sp?) it is still extremely boxy and rough. I'd love to bring it one division higher.

As far as mirroring my geometry, with the pose its at, the center remains about two inches left of the belly button therefor I haven't been mirroring anything. Is there a way to set the pivot point where you want? I messed around with "C. Pivot" and "S. Pivot" but nothing resulted in a desired result.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh and I'll fix the hands and feet up, I hadn't noticed that thanks.

GArriola83
04-05-2007, 07:43 AM
are you going under Tool>Geometry>Divide? thats one way of subdividing it. i cant imagine why it will not subdivide more detail into your mesh if youarent using that path. also, its recommended to roughly model details out before bringing it into zBrush. it'll make the details that you want pop out even more rather than forcing it from 4 subDs in zbrush.

Render3Dean
04-07-2007, 01:46 PM
What subdivision level are you at? Your computer may not be able to handle any more, and that's what ZB is trying to tell you. However, you can force ZB to subdivide more (though ZB may freeze) by turing the number in Preferences>mem>Maxpolyspermesh up. Hope this helped and that ZBrush was wrong about your computer ;).

beetz15s
04-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Your almost there keep going :)

Vicktorious
04-11-2007, 01:39 AM
Been stuck working alot past few days, so havent made any progress model wise, however I've resolved alot of my issues with Zbrush. Get paid tommarrow and I'm going to invest in bringing my memory up to 4 gig which should resolve my issues with being able to get into another division layer or two to actually do some detail, however, I'll have very little time the next 5 days to do any significant amount of work. Hopefully will have worth while updates soon.

Render3Dean
04-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Where did you get that reference sketch for Leonidas? I've been looking for that one, and for the one with the sword.

Vicktorious
04-20-2007, 03:21 PM
I downloaded every trailer I could and used fraps to screenshot good shots.

As for my entry, my hard drive fried on me and I lost all my work so I need to rework on some other things before I can commit time to this so unfortunately I gotta drop. Good luck to all you guys and gals, I'll be back on next competition hopefully.

Render3Dean
04-21-2007, 01:04 AM
Cool, Fraps is neat.

However, I was speaking specifically about the warner brother concept art (seen in this pic)

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1474/helmetfacecc7.jpg

Where did you get that?

Thanks,

-3Dean

Vicktorious
04-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Oh that you can find in the thread reference images started by good ole faithful Rober. Should be stickied still in Hardcore Modeling Challenge section.

RobertoOrtiz
04-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Roberto's Bullhorn: One week to go! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=208&t=489707)

Just an FYI.

-R

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2007, 06:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.