PDA

View Full Version : Character Animation Reel - Nemrod2006

Nemrod
03-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi

Here is my demoreel. Animations are from year 2006 and previous. Just something like summary character animation work. Games and commercials, as well as my own projects.

http://www.characteranims.com/demoreel.html

Of course any critique would be useful :)

cheers

akisey
03-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Very impressive work Nemrod!

The animation of the the little lions (tigers?) was very life-like.
All felt very natural to look at.

Nice job *thumbs*

AKiSeY

patfour
03-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Hey Nemrod,

I like a lot of your animations, and I think that the first piece is both a fun introduction and an effective way of showing that you can animate weight and struggle. I think your poses are good, but there are a few areas where I think you could improve the timing.

A lot of the animal jumps seem to go either too slowly or at too steady a pace, which hurts the illusion of gravity in the scene. When making an animal jump upwards, try giving more of an anticipation before the jump, then launch it at a higher speed, have it slow down a little at its peak, and then . I know the jumps only happen for an instant, so the change of speed shouldn't be too drastic, but I do think that subtle changes of velocity would really help sell those motions. If you're using Maya, using the graph editor is an easy way to tweak this.

I also saw an issue in the run cycles of the two animals at the beginning and the soldier later on. They seem to 'catch' for a moment in each cycle. This could be due to an extra frame at the beginning or end of the cycle, or it could be a lack of secondary motion at certain points that interrupts the flow of the cycles. Whatever the case, I'd suggest double checking these to see if there's something causing those 'hiccups' in the animation.

My final critique has more to do with editing than animation: there were two pieces (the green character on his cell phone and the yellow character running off the plane) from which I thought you faded away too soon. Both of these pieces have a closing action (the green character folds his arms, and the yellow character falls), but these actions are less noticeable because the piece fades as they occur. I think that if you showed the full action and then crossfaded to the next piece a few frames later, it would give a better sense of closure to those animations.

Overall though, good job; the presentation is nice and attractive, and the music was mixed together well. Good luck with everything!

Nemrod
03-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Very impressive work Nemrod!
The animation of the the little lions (tigers?) was very life-like.
AKiSeY

I forgot to write, but i see you have noticed that. All animals are childrens.
That's why they looks more "light" and carefree :)
Thanks for opinions! :)

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2007, 11:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.