PDA

View Full Version : a hole in the ground

newmanhyde
03-20-2007, 02:13 PM
a newbie question . just started to use vue for a while.but i was wondering is there a way to create a crater in the ground layer. i want a infinite view but when i use a terrain it just go below the ground.any help is greatly appreciate

mwalter1
03-20-2007, 08:03 PM
The gound plane is flat and thin - you can't make mountains or holes in it. Create a terrain. Make it really big so it fills most of your world. Now squish it down on the Z axis so it's not a mountain, but more "normal" flat ground. If it goes below the ground plane, just move it up a bit. Make sure your camera gets moved up too.

Lots of craters - Double-click the terrain and in the terrain editor, click Lunar one or 2 times to get nice looking craters.
One big crater - Double-click the terrain and on the Paint tab - click the dig button. Adjust your settings and click. It takes practice, but it looks really nice.

newmanhyde
03-21-2007, 02:15 AM
Thanks mwalter1, i will give it a try. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2007, 02:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.