mucksmear
03-05-2003, 06:30 PM
Hello,

-----------------
2 x WD800JB
Re-partitioning and formatting both drives and
Re-installing Win2kpro
----------------

In the Win2k Setup session (blue screens where you pick the drive and partitions to be created/repaired/installed on).

Setup shows that both drives are correctly the same size (~80G), as well as that they are indeed on the primary IDE bus.

Here's the "issue":

However, both drives were listed as drive "0" (I'm thinking this refers to physical disk location- and I expected to see one drive listed as "0" and the second listed as "1").

I think I may have mucked something up by applying the Ghost backup image of HDD 1 to HDD2 instead of HDD1

The system has successfully launced into Win2k, and seems to be running.

Am I worrying about nothing at all?

thanks
-Elliot

danhua76
03-05-2003, 07:43 PM
are they set as master and slave since they are on the same ide channel? if they're not, you actually wouldn't be able to boot up. i could be wrong though.

are the two drives set up as raid 0? if so, then the system would see both as drive 0 since raid 0 makes two drives llok like one drive.

other than that, i don't know why else it would list both drives as drive 0.

mucksmear
03-05-2003, 10:09 PM
They're physically set up as master/slave via thier location on the cable, as well as the jumber settings.

Both drives do appear in the BIOS settings for the IDE devices, however the drives are identical models and appear as such in the BIOS.

-Elliot

danhua76
03-05-2003, 10:15 PM
hmmm...i've never seen that before. anyone else seen this happening to two identical drives on the same ide channel? greg? elvis? dvornik?

you said the drive works fine right now, and that's all good, but maybe you should try to find out what's going on so that you don't encounter problems down the road (if there is any).

mucksmear
03-05-2003, 10:48 PM
Yeah, odd.

Any recommendations on how to test the integrity ofthe disksystem?

btw, Norton Ghost does seem to recognize the two disks as physical drive 1 and physical drive 2.

Also, how does one change the drive letter assignments? Can that be done from within Windows?

thanks,
-Elliot

danhua76
03-05-2003, 11:21 PM
yeah, you can change the drive letter assignments.

goto:
>adminsitrative tools
>computer management
>storage

dvornik
03-06-2003, 01:07 AM
I haven't seen this happen. Is the master disk brand new and the slave used?

mucksmear
03-06-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the help all,

Seems to be working. Got the drives re-labled too - thanks for that tip danhua76.

After I get a few more of the basic apps loaded, I'll let it sit and observe, do a backup of my downloaded drivers, etc. as well as do a Ghost image.

thanks again,
-E

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.