03-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Hi everyone! :)

Here my first Matte Painting WIP:

http://perso.orange.fr/julien.chiari/images2/matteOcean.jpg

crits and comments are welcome!

buchvecny
03-20-2007, 01:49 PM
not bad as first one (:,
the biggest mistake i see is the city in the background. It has kinda unrealistic lightning compared to budha island. I advice u to use curve to contrast/lighten the background city. I see some composition mistake too. Im not really sure what is the focal point?? It could be the budha... but he is cut in the middle. So what is the focal point.... the island with the strange structures? I think you should make the focal point clearer (try flipping canvar horizantelly so you see it yourself)

JJASSO
03-20-2007, 07:53 PM
I agree with buchvecny I find this image very confusing about visual composition, define what your focal node will be and work more about it, lighting is also an issue in the background , try to add some color variation to the skyscrapers and city in general it looks so desaturated .

tha island in the near foreground has some very crispy , sharp edges not integrating with the other photo elements
anyway to be the first one is a nice work keep working on this one again so you learn from your own mistakes and I asure you thenext matte painting you work on will be much better

Absinthe-Graphics
03-21-2007, 12:30 PM
As a suggestion: Try to place the buddha on top of the high rock on the right hand side of the middle island. Than reposition this island in a way that the viewer´s eye is led from foreground to backgound (city). At the moment the island is too much in the center and kind of blocks the view to background. Also you could place the boat in the foreground, as if travelling towards the island. Keep on working on this one, it has a good potential!

chiari
03-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks buchvecny, jamesvfx and Absinthe-Graphics for the comments. That help me a lot.
Here a quick new version.

http://perso.orange.fr/julien.chiari/images2/matteOcean2.jpg

AngelDream
03-25-2007, 03:48 AM
About visual composition, many perspectives don't match: the buddha rock against the foremost peak and the background hills.
In the meaningful aspect, I suppose the city below the buddha is some kind of sanctuary or maybe an ancient city that has forgotten about buddha. Either way, in the beggining, the buddha rock should've been their spiritual center, so, I don't understand why buddha isn't looking towards the city but to the side of the rock. in that position, the people can only see the side of the statue.
Keep an eye on your edges! for example, on the foremost cliff, it's very sharp against the sea, and the join of the Buddha rock and the underlying cliff.
As an improvement from the previous one, I can say that colors match way more than former one.

buchvecny
03-28-2007, 05:31 PM
:D the second version is so much better :)
i dont know about the sky now... it looks like if it was overexposed and i dont know if u did it with curve or the stock pphoto was so blown out. Anyway, u made giant leap. And yes i agree with boat idea... that would be nice touch

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2007, 05:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.