PDA

View Full Version : Arctic silver 3

Nem
03-05-2003, 07:20 PM
for a single processor, how much arctic silver would i need to buy? 3 or 6 grams?
and how would i apply it? just syringe it onto the cpu core and spread it around?

kwshipman
03-05-2003, 07:23 PM
Check out artic silvers website on how to apply it. Dont have a link with me at work, and have to hide the fact that I am on the internet from my employer. Greg or elvis will probably beat me to it anyways:thumbsup:

GregHess
03-05-2003, 07:35 PM
www.articsilver.com

imashination
03-05-2003, 07:50 PM
3 grams will do many, many CPUs.

kwshipman
03-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Here is what their site says about it.

"Arctic Silver 3 is sold in 3 gram and 6 gram tubes. The 3 gram tube contains enough compound to cover at least 20 to 30 small CPU cores, or 7 to 12 large CPU cores, or 3 to 6 heat plates.
At a layer 0.003" thick, the 3 gram tube will cover approximately 18 square inches. "

I think that 3 grams should do just fine.

GregHess
03-05-2003, 08:10 PM
Make sure to wear some sort of latex glove when working with it. That artic silver stuff takes forever to get out of your skin. And I doubt its very good for you :).

Nem
03-05-2003, 08:26 PM
hey thanks! :)
i just saw sum stuff about arctic epoxy? this sticks things together, but why/what would you stick things together? :S

danhua76
03-05-2003, 08:40 PM
i'm not sure what you would use artic epoxy for, but i do know that you do not want to use it on your hsf and cpu. the instructions also state that arctic epoxy should not be used on cpus.

kwshipman
03-05-2003, 08:48 PM
Well I know that some vid cards have heatsinks that are glued on. Its probably for that.

DeathCarrot
03-05-2003, 08:52 PM
yeah you can use epoxy to stick on for example heatsinks onto gpu ram chips, or really anything that is not fastened using some sort of clip or is vertical..

Nem
03-05-2003, 08:58 PM
i hate being new to computer building :( i did not know gfx cards needed a heatsink :(

DeathCarrot
03-05-2003, 08:59 PM
well if it needs one it'll have it with it, some people choose to fit their own if they're seriously into overclocking

elvis
03-05-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Nem
for a single processor, how much arctic silver would i need to buy? 3 or 6 grams?
and how would i apply it? just syringe it onto the cpu core and spread it around?

Nem: not meaning to be rude, but that's the third question you've asked in the last few days that could have been answered by simply STFW, or checking up on the manufacturers website.

people don't know things magically. they search and they learn. doing the same might save you a few hours waiting for a reply on a message board.

Nem
03-05-2003, 11:33 PM
to be honest with you, i finding reading pointless, who knows what you're reading, stuff from manufacturers thats all sugar coated and shit, and half of it someone new like me wont understand anyway, its only natural for humans to want human interaction because its what they understand best, its what they can relate to best

singularity2006
03-06-2003, 12:48 AM
I agree whole heartedly... it is sugar coated. But here's the basic idea, you want the artic silver to cover a thin layer between the contact point and the heat sink. The cpu die is the only contact point so for an AMD, 2 pea sizes will work. When the heat sink goes down, it will mash the silver outward and surround the die and contact the heat sink. The P4's on the other hand... require a bit more to get the entire contact die.

GregHess
03-06-2003, 02:30 AM
Here's a bit more...fine tuned instructions...

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

elvis
03-06-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Nem
to be honest with you, i finding reading pointless, who knows what you're reading, stuff from manufacturers thats all sugar coated and shit, and half of it someone new like me wont understand anyway, its only natural for humans to want human interaction because its what they understand best, its what they can relate to best

so instead you'll trust the advice of some perfrect strangers half way across the world?

RTFM. that's how i learned it all, and that's all i pass on to everyone who asks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.