PDA

View Full Version : Noise reduction?

Nem
03-05-2003, 07:19 PM
what do ppl think of things like this:
http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/productinfo.php?basket_session=5e0c16cd751d14688f81bc7cf7fe7e18&codeid=800865

they would decrease noise, but would cause the case to heat up more wudnt it? is that a fair trade off?

kwshipman
03-05-2003, 07:29 PM
if you have a steel case the heat wont make a big difference if you have addaquit airflow. For an aluminum case, the aluminum is what makes the case stay cool, putting one of these mats on there eliminates the benifit (not to mention extra cost for one)

dvornik
03-05-2003, 07:32 PM
You won't need it if you chose nice quiet heatsink, case fans and PS.

Nem
03-05-2003, 08:23 PM
i understand what ur saying kwshipman about defeating the purpose, i just thought that if you have quiet fans etc as well as this mat then it'll be even quieter :) or is this completely stupid for the reason you stated?

danhua76
03-05-2003, 08:38 PM
i actually installed that exact noise dampening mat into my system and it didn't do a single thing. the noise level was still the same. it was a good waste of my $25 if you asked me. ahh, nothing like burning $25 for the hell of it now and then :rolleyes:

kwshipman
03-05-2003, 08:57 PM
Most noise is caused by fans or by something rattleling. The fans are mounted to holes on the outside of the case, so that dampining ould have no effect. Something rattling you may lessen what you hear, but your money would be better spent on rubber washers and such.

The other noises are from the drives. I am not sure if there is a good way to quiet the CD or DVD drives sence they are also on the outside basically.

For the HDD they make special enclosures that fit into a 5 1/4 drive that work very well but cause the drive to become hot. so you have a trade off with that one. All in all, I think that your money should be spent on getting quiet case and cpu fans, a high quailty Heatsink that can cool efficently enough that a low speed fan would suffice. also on the rubber washers to make sure that nothing vibrates (I have had that problem with several things) once you have all that you case should be rather quiet.

If you case is alum dont even bother. If it is steel, you might consider it, to but dont expect major drops in noise.

Nem
03-05-2003, 09:27 PM
where wud u put rubber washers?

danhua76
03-05-2003, 09:33 PM
you would put the rubber washers in between the fan and the holes where they mount to the case. the rubber washers act as a vibration dampener to reduce the overall noise created by the fans vibrating against the case.

really, if you want an extremely powerful system, you'll have to deal with noise at some level. if it's just your run of the mill desktop used for basic stuff (web surfing, email, ms office, etc.) you can build a system that uses all passive cooling (no fans) and it will be quite as heck. a good example is the very nice and quickly failed cube from apple. you couldn't even tell it was on since it was sooo quiet.

anyhow, i'm sure that your noise level is not as bad as you think. being that you're building your own system, you're gonna be real picky about it. that's how i am with my system.

kwshipman
03-05-2003, 09:35 PM
on the screws, on both sides of the case. I.e.where the head of the screw touches the case and then where the case touches the fan or drive. Prettymuch anywhere mettle touches mettle.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.