PDA

View Full Version : comparison Maya - Houdini

frading
03-05-2003, 05:00 PM
Hi!
Being a maya user, I have many of my needs filled with this soft. But I am wondering if Houdini could make some task easier to complete. As I see many big studios using Houdini for some shots, I would like to know based on which criteria they decide which software they will be using during a production. So, does anyone could give me a clue on this?

thx in advance

betty
03-05-2003, 09:23 PM
http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/sidefx/

download houdini and you'll be on your way to finding your answer....

frading
03-05-2003, 09:28 PM
this is waht I am currently doing actually, but it will take a few weeks...this is why I was looking for a shortcut :) But I understant this is not easy to answer to such a question

JHarford
03-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Cant post much tonight as limited time, but you will start using houdini and every time you find something new you will be like 'wow thats pretty impressive' and everything seems to click. The procedural workflow is excellent and unlike mayas history it allows you to go back tweak a few things and the changes update throughout the network and all this is done visualy and in a much faster way.

gtg will post more soon

Jharford

frading
03-05-2003, 09:47 PM
thanks for that beginning of answer, this is very nice. I am impatient to see more!

betty
03-07-2003, 10:48 AM
frading
just didn't want to go down the 'this is better/this is shitter' route.
you didn't mention which area you mostly work in, ie; modeling, effects, etc

try to do a typical thing you might be doing in maya at the moment in houdini and see how it compares. if you are having difficulty just ask, ( www.odforce.net has lots of pros doing the rounds, as does www.sidefx.com ), and you'll get your answer quite quickly.

unxetas
03-09-2003, 02:10 PM
also get the video tutorials from both sidefx and 3dbuzz.com
if possible take the free course on 3dbuzz, it rocks and you'll get to see the possibilities of houdini.

It all comes down to personal preference, but all houdini is lacking is some publicity and training.. I mean, books, tutorials, bla bla bla :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.