PDA

View Full Version : Wings to Hash

SouthernLaw
03-05-2003, 05:32 PM
I'm probably a bit behind the times with this, but I just found out that Wings 3D runs in OS X! I can't tell you how happy that makes me:applause:

So, have any of you had experience modeling in Wings and then taking the models to Hash? Are there any bugs or other weirdness that I need to look out for?

Also, as an entertaining side note, here's my idea of the perfect animation pipeline...

Model in Wings 3D
Texture in ZBrush
Animate in Hash
Render in Renderman/BMRT (maybe one day)
Composite with AfterEffects/Shake

Am I missing anything?

zandoria
03-05-2003, 06:41 PM
Hey J,
Nice to see you on the forum. I haven't tried Wings, but I have a Japanese A:M book called "A:M making 3D" where I believe that the author imported some models from Wings.--so It shouldn't be too much trouble.

Wings has gotten a lot of praise, so I may need to check it out!

SouthernLaw
03-05-2003, 07:54 PM
Howdy Will,

Wings looks really cool so far... I used Nendo for a while back when it first came out. I think I stopped using it because of import/export problems with Hash. Now that Wings exports directly to .mdl, hopefully all those problems will be gone!

I *really* like the more sculptural feel that most of the sub-d modelers have. It's just more intuitive for me than AM's 'wet noodle' approach.

I'll let you know how things work out.

Finkster
03-05-2003, 08:05 PM
HI,
Yeah I've tried a little wings > hash modelling, not too much though. The most important tip might be to think like you're in hash while you're in wings...if you know what I mean. Don't model as if you were making a regular poly/sub-division, but like you were modelling i hash, with all your control points peaked. Basically this means following the hash modelling rules i.e. no more than 4 edges per vertex, faces as evenly sized as possible, 4 or 5 sided faces a good flow in your edges (splines). Also your model's volume will be a lot closer to that of the polygon cage when it is hashed, than if you were aiming for a sub-d model in wings. Hopefully doing this should give a pretty good transition. You may find many splines not correctly connected after transfer, especially if you work with extrusions in wings, so look out for that.

Good Luck

Ciaran Moloney

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.