PDA

View Full Version : EDGE to SPLINE (3dsmax)

rsanabria80
03-19-2007, 05:04 PM
3DSMAX - Edge to Spline

Hello, I'm looking forward to receiving some tips on how to detach an edge from a Poly or Mesh, and convert it into a spline or an independent shape... I've been trying to do it selecting the edge but no success since I don't get anything from that Detach procedure... I know i can detach isolated points (vertex) but then i don't know how to generate a connection of a line among them...

I appreciate if ayone can help me out with this... Thanks a lot in advance...

MikeBracken
03-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Just click "create shape from selection" in the editable poly options.

Racc
03-20-2007, 09:42 PM
You're 95% of the way there already, you're just looking in the wrong place for the final step. Select the edges just as you've been doing. Then instead of trying to detach anything, just look for one of these buttons...

In edit/editable mesh... Edit Geometry rollout > Create Shape from Edges button

In edit/editable poly... Edit Edges rollout > Create Shape From Selection button

--Racc

rsanabria80
03-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Ok you solved one of the most important doubts I had in 3DsMax... This is going to help me alot in future modelings... Here i send you guys one of my renders...
If you don't mind, i'd ike to know too what are Isolated Vertex for?
Thank you once more!

Racc
03-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Ok you solved one of the most important doubts I had in 3DsMax... This is going to help me alot in future modelings... Here i send you guys one of my renders...
If you don't mind, i'd ike to know too what are Isolated Vertex for?
Thank you once more!

It's generally a good idea to avoid isolated vertices, hence the "Remove Isolated Vertices" button. But I guess you could use them to build your own polygon faces, but there's generally easier ways to do that.

--Racc

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2007, 02:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.