PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 development

Galo
03-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Hi all,

Im intrested in developing games on the ps3, i've read loads about the cell proc and the SDK running on linux, but i was wondering, does anyone here has any experience in the field with this, i'm curious on documentation about how to get a game on the ps3 and compilation stadards and so on...

if anyone has any experience in this please let me know, im searching ...

thanks in advance - Galo

Robert Bateman
03-19-2007, 07:41 PM
tbh, PS3 programming isn't for the faint hearted, and even with a seperate linux distro installed, without graphics drivers available for the PS3 you are pretty much stuck with non 3D, non accelerated games. With time, some 3D drivers my become available, but i doubt that will be for a while (unless sony fully backs it). So atm you are slightly stuck. There is no SDK available to the public, though you can install linux and do bog standard (non 3D) homebrew (ie, app's and basic 2D games). Only downside to the linux thing, is that for other people to play your games you'll need to get them to install linux... which your average joe will probably not be bothered to do.

I'd suggest looking towards the 360 and XNA if you actually want to see some 3D games working....

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2007, 07:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.