PDA

View Full Version : Face shapes in 'displayinfo' custom paramater

pete
03-19-2007, 07:25 AM
Hi there,
I was just wondering,
I have created a "display info" custom paramater set so that I can animate parameters directly from the viewport and it's working cool except... I can't seem to find my characters faceshapes in explorer to add into the custom parameters.
Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a naff question but I am just not too sure where these animation tracks are stored in explorer.
Thanks
Pete

tuna
03-19-2007, 02:06 PM
You'll find them in the Mixer -> tracks folder under the model node, or under the scene root if you don't have one yet.
If you're dragging and dropping these shape values into the custom perameter set, then it might be easier to find them in the shape manager or the animation mixer, instead of the explorer.

pete
03-20-2007, 01:43 AM
thanks that's great, it takes a while to find them in the explorer though, they are seriously nested in there!! And there's a lot of other scary things that I wouldn't have a clue about...
So yeah I took your advice and just draged the key icons out of the shape manager, which seemed to work nicely.

They didn't however apear too well in the on screen Displayinfo, the names got totally mashed -
http://www.peterleary.net/forumfiles/Displayinfo_02.gif

I guess the on screen display info doesn't like to expand depending on the length of the names, also when I dragged the shape key accross to the 'DisplayInfo' custom parameter set it renamed them...

http://www.peterleary.net/forumfiles/Displayinfo_01.gif

tuna
03-20-2007, 06:35 AM
To sort out the names, there are two methods. The first is to check "Use proxy perameter names" in the viewport's view options (just under where you turn on DisplayInfo), but this will name the weightly ugly.

The better option is to add your own custom perameters in the DisplayInfo property set. Set the names you want for each one, then you drag the green bit of those custom perameters onto the green bit of the shape in the shape manager, this will create a 1:1 expression for you automatically, and the perameters drive the shapes.

pete
03-21-2007, 04:16 AM
Hi there,
Thanks again, I gave that a bash and it worked heaps better. http://www.peterleary.net/forumfiles/displayinfo_03.gif

I stumbled accross afew problems though, it seems as though you can't have animation on the either track or else it just copies the animation accross instead of creating an expression.

Also when I click on the squares in the display to key the parameters I get this error(and they don't get keyed)
http://www.peterleary.net/forumfiles/displayinfo_04.gif

Any Idea what that's about?

BTW, I checked out your site 'tuna' and there's some cool stuff there :) Inspiring rig stuff and nice renders...

tuna
03-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Hey, okay the first thing with dragging and dropping. Since the original shape sliders already have animation on them, you can just drag and drop the animation onto the new controllers before removing the animation (if you need to). Since you can't drag and drop it with animation to create an expression, you can write the expression yourself.
So in the shape manager, right click the green thing, choose "set expression", then type out the name of the custom perameter you want to control it. A quick way to find this out is to remove the animation on the channel first, then drag and drop to get the expression, copy the expression, then hit undo a few times and just set the expression manually.
The expression really should be as simple as ModelName.ObjectName.CPeramSetName.CPeramName

The second problem is just because in the bottom right hand corner of XSI you need to set the keying option menu to display "Key Marked Perameters".

I'm glad you liked my stuff :) I also had a gander at your site and there are some awesome character stuff in there :thumbsup:

pete
03-22-2007, 01:38 AM
Awesome,
Thanks for all the help :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2007, 01:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.