PDA

View Full Version : Hardware problems

Stejahen
03-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Hello, I have a AMD athlon XP 2000, with 512 megs of pc133 memory. I'm having frequent lock ups, restarts, illegal operations etc. I know it's not a software problem becuase I used to use Win 98, and it did it all the time, but I just upgraded to 2000, and it still does it. I just got a new power supply,(my old one went out) and it was only 13.95 400 watt. My freind said it could be the cheap power supply or the memory. It only locks up when I'm using a 3d program or using alot of resources.
What do yall think?

Maven
03-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Video Card specs?

GregHess
03-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Run a memory test to eliminate that as a possible issue.

go to

www.memtest86.com

Download the 3.0 version for floppys. Make a floppy using it.

Boot to the floppy.

Run 1 pass with all tests. (Press esc when the program starts, and change tests to all... it will take 30-45 minutes)

A single ram error indicates faulty or overclocked ram. More then one error equals bad ram, which must be replaced.

If the test occurs on all dimms, remove the dimms one at a time and test them to see if errors occur on all dimms, or just one or two sticks.

What motherboard are you using? If its a via motherboard, it requires via 4 in 1 drivers to be a stable system. You can get these drivers from...

www.viaarena.com

Please give us your motherboard and its designation. (Aka Abit KT7A, KT133A)

Whats the processor temp at? (Check in the bios).

Stejahen
03-05-2003, 09:03 PM
But I didn't think it could possibly be that, could it? Greg, thanks! will try it when I get home.

elvis
03-05-2003, 10:32 PM
have you got the latest service packs (SP3 for Win2k) and motherboard drivers installed as well? (and no, the ones that come with the motherboard are not the latest).

Stejahen
03-10-2003, 04:50 AM
Thanks everyone, I tried the memtest86 all test, it ran for 8 hours and found 0 errors. So I guess it's not the RAM. I have a K7S5A motherboard, and I think my cpu temp isn't too high, I'll double check, last time it was like 118 degrees F. What do yall think?
Could it be the power supply, I have a cheapo generic one. My freind thinks it is the problem.

GregHess
03-10-2003, 01:18 PM
Hey Stejahen,

If you believe its the psu, try disconnecting all peripherals. (That you can afford).

Examples are...

1) CDROM's, DVDROM's, CDRW's etc.
2) Zip's, floppy's, jaz's (ug)
3) Additional hd's other then your primary disk.
4) Case fans. (NOT YOUR HEATSINK FAN)

This should reduce the draw on your psu.

If you notice the instability disappear, then its definitely the psu. If its a really bad psu, this still won't help though.

You can also consider removing all but 1 dimm, and any ethernet/sound, or cards other then video in the pci slots. (secondary video cards as well).

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.