PDA

View Full Version : Co-op Demo Reel

nafki
03-19-2007, 02:47 AM
This reel got me a co-op position at Guru Studios in Toronto, Canada. crits and comments are welcome. i kno its not perfect. special thanks to everyone who posted anything related to the "CG Schools and Demo reels" thread.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2vvYuFUpsGY

Creature
03-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Sorry but was is a co-op position?

Zoober
03-19-2007, 09:39 PM
It's similar to an internship. Usually part of a college or university course.

nafki
03-20-2007, 12:57 AM
yeah. mines is a high school program. i get 2 credits for it.

Creature
03-20-2007, 01:34 AM
And you need a reel to apply for that? Even the big places in London like Framestore are taking on interns without looking at their reels. It's not as if interns actually do any work :)

Good reel nevertheless nafki. Hope you learn a ton while you're an intern (or co-op, sorry - just never heard of that term before)

LordMcGoat
03-20-2007, 01:58 AM
Even the big places in London like Framestore are taking on interns without looking at their reels.

Not sure that's true, when I was at uni Framestore were pretty picky about the interns, they only took them from a few places and in the Uk Bournemouth was the only one. MPC, Double Negative and Cinesite also had formal interviews with showreels for placements.

Runners positions I`m not so sure about though.

Anyway, congratulations on the place Nafki

Creature
03-20-2007, 02:11 AM
Amy Smith (who is Framestores main recruiter for Junior-and-Lower position) did a talk at the Uni of Hertfordshire two weeks ago and she said that interns do not need to send DemoReels. But I guess it doesn't hurt :)

Reason for this is that they receive 50 to 200 reels a week for "real" position and don't have time to look through intern-reels.

And they are definitively taking interns from Herts as well, not just Bournemouth.

LordMcGoat
03-20-2007, 02:18 AM
Cool. Then I stand corrected :)

nafki
03-20-2007, 03:35 AM
thanks. yea i dont know the whole procedure about internships but i contacted alot of studios and none of them wanted high school students. They said they rarely even take college students either. I was told by guru to bring in some work to show them what i can do. I figured a demo reel would show them I knew something about the whole acceptance procedure of the industry and stuff. I guess they want to see some level of skill before they take you into their studio. they dont want total nitwits coming in and breathing up all the air :P. not to get cocky but im sure if they seen some of the animations coming out of my animation class, they would not consider them what so ever. all in all i was satisfied with the results. I cant say i know many high school students getting and chance to just hang out and kick it in a real animation studio. i started my first day today. all i can say is i really hate maya. im sure ill learn to love it someday though.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2007, 03:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.