PDA

View Full Version : My VFS reel

uniraptor
03-19-2007, 01:22 AM
Would love anyones comments or opinons regarding my animation in this short film of mine entitled Benevolence.

thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQyDGgpMHsM

uniraptor
03-19-2007, 02:58 AM
Stop veiwing my stuff and not comenting. How will I get better. I want the best animators in the world ever to look at this and tell me suggest where to improove and how.

mistasam02
03-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Really awesome story man! There were a few parts where the animation could have been smoother, but I was so into the short that I didn't pay attention. Great job!

mystikhybrid
03-19-2007, 01:00 PM
really great job. Great story. Really good animation, I liked the dog. The walk up to the dumpster in the beginning couldve been a little better, but it seemed to improve thru the film. I am just starting in animation an see some parts like the limping arent to easy to make look real. You did tho.

(on a side note I would turn the motion blur down a little, The dog got a little too blurry in when he got his legs back)

uniraptor
03-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the coments. I think your right that the motion blurr could be toned down a bit in the future. the dog does get a bit blury at the end when he jumps around in a circle. And someone though the walk up to the dumpster shot was one of the weaker animations...I thought it weas one of the better. :P aw well. Any other coments are always welcome. Liked it, didn't sugestions for improovmemnt as I make more shorts in the future.

Thanks.

bleumoon
03-28-2007, 06:18 AM
Hi Justin, I'm not sure why more people haven't commented on your short. It's one of my favorites out of VFS. The story is so touching and heartfelt . . . it almost makes me cry every time I see it. Your animation is solid, as you seem to be able to do melancholy well. Sarah still shows your work from time to time, and it's pretty impressive. Oh btw, nice pacing and camera work.

For what it's worth, I think Benevolence is great. Anyway, good luck in the future.

uniraptor
03-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Hey thanks for the coment. Thats cool that Sarah still shows my stuff at VFS. Anyways I apriciate the post. Thanks.

CGOutcast
03-28-2007, 07:18 PM
really really liked it, the animation is very natural the only thing i had a problem with was some of the facial expressions didnt make it clear what the yellow robot was doing i thought he was crying at first when he had the dog on his lap. The music was ok but it could have a been a bit better, pianos are great but even at the end when you should feel happy i still felt sad. Either way good short film keep up the good work.

c_Hotchkiss
03-31-2007, 03:45 PM
nice animation.

the facial i didnt care for...but i think the body is more important anyways.
the character design was so so imho.

the story was great.

really nice animation, actually

MoutMout
04-01-2007, 11:37 AM
It's a beautiful story, great work.

About the animation as some people have said facial animation need much work but the rest is great.

Bravo!

3dsensei
04-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Congrats, thats really good :D

I love the story, really good. and the animation is pretty awesome.
As said the facial need work.
All the walks, are really solid, specially the last one.
but I do think that a lot of the time, when he is sitting, there's a bit to much going on, it gets a little confusing, i think it should be a bit more simpel.
I find that in emotional shots, simpel animation is the way to go, it's all in the eyes.

Just my 2 cent's. :thumbsup:

cheers,

jasondesigns
04-02-2007, 02:49 AM
This is a really good short with a nice story. I think the animation is excellent, except for maybe the face... but the body animations are top notch! Excellent work, and inspirational. :thumbsup:

jipe
04-02-2007, 05:46 AM
I disagree with the previous comments about the story. Sacrifice is a very powerful theme, one that can really tug the heartstrings - but I don't think it worked for me here. Giving up one's own leg (or arm or kidney) is an incredibly big, life-altering decision, and most people who do such a thing do it for someone they know and love. You would be hard pressed to find a complete stranger willing to give away one of their legs to you, and in a matter of seconds. So when the main character does so here, I found it highly implausible.

The pacing was a bit odd, as well: the conflict is established (the dog can't walk) and then it's resolved right away without any type of struggle - outer OR inner - on the part of the protagonist.

The animation was serviceable to the story, but it never became much more than physical movement (ie, the animation didn't create a personality for the main character). Some specifics:

-I felt the walk at the beginning was overanimated - rather than being someone who was happy/cheerful, the main character looked like someone who was trying to do a happy walk. The motion at the end (where he stops and looks back at the dumpster) seemed awkward to me, and his pose could have been much stronger when he's peering around the corner (lean! lean!).

-The motion where he first puts the dog down and steps back is very stiff.

-I like when he uses his feet to flip the garbage over...

-...but that was followed by a pretty big animation cliche right at the 'climax': he puts his hand on his chin (aka THINKING) and then, right before the cut, puts his finger up in the air (aka I'VE GOT IT) and looks straight at the dog's panel.

I'm not one of "the best animators in the world," but I hope my feedback helped. Good luck with your future work...

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2007, 05:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.