PDA

View Full Version : Improving PFlow Update Performance

ArcAngelous
03-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Hello,

I searched the forum, but did not find any threads associated with improving the performance of PFlow updater. If I missed anything please include links. - Tnx

Just to give you an idea that I kid you not, whether if I use my dual xeon w/ 2g or my small shuttle when I scrub max goes on vacation for a few seconds at least. These are with the intro tutorials even.

If anyone has tips on how to get it to update faster in the view ports that would be great. I know I can turn of geometry or lower the display vs render, but is there anything more. I'm using version 9. I know that Autodesk has improved viewport performance, but I do not know if they are using anything to accelerate the particle systems yet. If there is a setting that is off by default that I can us, or all advise would be helpful.

Cheers

SoLiTuDe
03-19-2007, 12:31 AM
You can use the Cache operator to speed up performance... when you play through or try scrubbing pflow, it has to calc from the first frame each time, with the cache operator it will keep it in memory, so you can scrub freely. If you change something, you will have to tell it to update again, but keep in mind that you'll probably want to play from frame 0 most of the time.

Also try toggling realtime playback. If it's on realtime playback it's gonna try and keep up the playback speed to realtime, and thus skip all crazy. If you turn realtime playback off you will at least be able to see each frame calculate... usually quite a bit smoother, but keep in mind it's not realtime. Use cache op to see realtime preview. :)

OlegB
03-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Also, switch viewport redraw from DirectX or OpenGL to SZB (Software Z Buffer). For particle systems it is faster.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

ArcAngelous
03-19-2007, 02:02 AM
Great! thanks for the info.

Uhm so... So where are those settings for the cache and the non-realtime playback? I'm a PFlow newbie, never got around to using it as much as I plan to now.

Again thanks for the advice.

Cheers

SoLiTuDe
03-19-2007, 03:00 AM
The cache op is just another pflow operator like speed or rotation. Put it next to your render operator at the top of the flow, and you should be good. Non realtime playback is done in the time configuration dialog (near the play button).

Like oleg the magnificent said, using software mode instead of directx or opengl really helps a lot as well... plus looks better when using dots for your display type. This is done under customize -> preferences -> viewports.

OlegB
03-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Keep in mind that Cache operator helps if the size of the animation fits into the pool of memory allocated. If your RAM allows, you can increase the amount of memory given to the Cache operator.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2007, 11:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.