PDA

View Full Version : Character Animation Demo Reel

patfour
03-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Hello, everybody! I'm a long time lurker of the CGTalk forums, and I just recently created an accound and started making a few posts here and there. This is the first piece of my own work that I've posted here.

I'm an animation student at the Savannah College of Art and Design, and this is my character animation demo reel. Click on the 'Reel Breakdown' image below to see the video:

http://studentpages.scad.edu/%7Eptille20/Reel_Breakdown_480x600.jpg (http://studentpages.scad.edu/%7Eptille20/Tillery_Online_Reel.mov)

- Click the image above to watch the reel -
(480x360; just over 30 megs)

It's kind of weird to put this in the "Finished Work" category; I've heard it said that a demo reel is always a work in progress, and I agree. Even so, I'm calling this cut done for now, but I'm still very open to critiques. If there's something you don't like about the animation or the reel's presentation, please do rip into it and tell how I can make it better.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

tomassalles
03-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Hi there,

I hope I can help you with some advice.

Overall I would shorten (by speeding up or by editing the animations) everything on your reel. For example I like the first animation a lot, but I would shorten it to at least a third of its current lenght. The idea is well developed but it takes too long to be concluded.

I would also show less of that second loop and jump quickly to the other works. I like the mixing of medias (that's rare today) Keep trying that I think it brings originality to your work.

Best

Tomas

Kristofferic
03-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Hey patfour. I like the blue screen of death animation, good timing but i've learned recently that it's pacing is kinda long for a reel. Viewers may get bored of the pace and move on.

Animation wise I liked it, The only thing that I really noticed was the second step back when he's getting ready to smash the computer, it looked kind of like it floats in that area. When I get a little more free time, Iíll look back over it and try to nit-pick it more for you.

The cat piece is funny but Iím not sure if you should put it in the reel, maybe on your website (if you have one) for fun.

patfour
03-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Thank you both for your feedback!

tomassalles - I see what you mean about the length. Right now SCAD is on spring break, and I need the software on the school's computers to edit everything. As soon as classes are back in session, I'll try to speed everything up a little.

Kristofferic - Yeah, the Catfight clip is the one I was most conflicted about. Some people (especially my roommate and non-animation friends) tell me it's their favorite piece and that I can't leave it off the reel, while others say that it's not professional enough to be reel material. I think what I'll do is make two cuts of the reel, one with the catfight and one without, and then choose which reel to send to which companies based upon how much they value creative experimentation.

Thanks again!

nickfredin
03-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Hey I thought the editing on the first peice was brilliant and I wouldn't touch it. It built tension and comic relief. As for the other stuff I think the fat to slim run cycle (second peice?) could use a little work, it seemed a bit slow and floaty. The pimp walk was great the cat thing was funny and original I'd leave it in and the last peice was great too with the old man. I think for your first reel this is awsome and as you progress though the years you will accumulate alot of work that you can choose to cut or keep in but for now that reel totally works. Keep it up!

NF

patfour
03-21-2007, 02:37 AM
nickfredin - Thanks! I'm very flattered that you liked my animations. I too am happy with the timing of that first piece, so I am hesitant to speed it up, but at the same time I can imagine employers might get bored with a 60 second introduction. I think I'll just play around with it and see if I can get that same sense of buildup in a shorter amount of time. I also see what you mean about the run cycle, and I'll try to tweak that as well once school starts again. I definitely don't want that guy to be anywhere near floaty. Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2007, 02:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.