tomassalles
03-18-2007, 03:52 AM
EQUILIBRIO
(balance)
by TOMAS SALLES

SELECTED FOR SIGGRAPH's ELETRONIC THEATER
ANIMATION FESTIVAL
San Diego 2007

This is my NYU thesis for the Master of Science in Digital Imaging and Design program (at CADA). My aim was to manipulate a live action footage (shot with a rented 35mm camera) and using the software learned in the CADA/NYU program to achieve the desired visual effect (below).

http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/138903/138903_1174196269_medium.jpg

Description

A Male character confined in a dark gym exercises to develop his upper body muscles, and as he grows to enormous proportions his body stability changes.

(http://www.tomassalles.com)Download (http://www.tomassalles.com)

(http://esub.siggraph.org/uploads/177A6M-DGZP1Z/Movie_0734.mov)

Challenges

The need of a 3D virtual torso without the use of a virtual muscle and bone system demanded an imaginative solution. An artistic approach using Pose Space Deformations (PSD) required a thorough effort on every step of the short's creation. 82 polygonal sculptures and highly detailed displacement and texture maps were created in Zbrush to be used in Michael B. Comet's PoseDeformer plug-in for Maya. A rigged torso with PSD corrections was then animated to match the actor's movement on match-moved Maya Live cameras. On top of that, the muscles growths were animated with blendshapes and influenced by a Maya Hair simulation on the rig to create a jiggling effect. The use of Mental Ray's subsurface scattering shaders was essential to pull off a convincing skin look.

http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/138903/138903_1174196715_large.jpg

Hardware and software used:

AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.41GHz, 2,00 GB of Ram - For the HD version renders I used the incredible renderfarm from 'The mill NY' (Thanks guys!)

Autodesk Maya unlimited 7.0 , Michael B. Comet's Pose Deformer, Pixologic Zbrush 2.0, Adobe Premier 2, Adobe Photshop 7.0 , Adobe Illustrator CS2, Adobe After Effects 7.0

running time = 1.07min shot in 35mm transferred to HDCAM-SR

The thesis subject matter.

How can a limit to growth and expansion be determined? Are limits bad to human potential? ‘Equilibrio’(balance) implies that future generations are challenged to find the balance between growth and sustainability to avoid an unexpected fall.

This dark and humorous piece is a metaphorical comment on today’s destructive culture of excesses that encourages us to be more impulsive to grow, to consume, to profit, consequently, pollute, destroy, and waste. It also exposes the border between the Ideal physique and the grotesque while signaling to the relationships between the media (e.g. the TV commercial format) and the increasing preoccupation with the image and aesthetics experienced in this contemporary phase of modernity pushing everyone to the limit.

Tomas Salles

Booyah
03-18-2007, 04:30 AM
WOW!! Totally creepy but really cool. I don't know how you did it but DAMN!

tomassalles
03-18-2007, 05:08 AM
Thanks for your compliment. I'll work on a Making of to explain how I did it soon.:)

Tomas

Irma
03-18-2007, 06:21 AM
AMAZING FILM!! This is one of the best I've seen:eek:.

Have you shot the film yourself?

Great production! Wonderful job.

I hope to see the making of soon. And keep posting more of your work.

Irma

tomassalles
03-18-2007, 07:01 PM
I don't know why I don't get any ratings???:sad:

RyanKnopp
03-19-2007, 01:08 AM
Good god man! That's great! Front page for sure!

uniraptor
03-19-2007, 01:21 AM
I checked out your thingy cause you comented on my animation. and it's sweet! Nice job!

leishman
03-19-2007, 06:53 AM
so Cool.....................

PuGs
03-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Wow! man thats really well done. I love the Tricept flex! the lighting and music give this animation a creepy mood. The timeless-ness of it also makes you wonder how long he is in there for.

Mu
03-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi, I don't know shit about how you could achieve such stunning effects, but as a "standard viewer" I can say that the FX looked totally (and creepily, I might add) believable. Absolutely amazing.

What also adds to the overall expression is the cinematic quality of the shots themselves. Excellently lighted and well shot movie, too, you know?

:thumbsup:

rastascg
03-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Congratulations!!!...Good Integration and amazing photography... only, for me the muscles growing a little bit loose, I think it´s more better more fast and tight. But anywhere, it´s awesome... cool man!!!

tomassalles
03-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Thank you very much for all the opinions and compliments, they are very relevant to me.

Congratulations!!!...Good Integration and amazing photography... only, for me the muscles growing a little bit loose, I think it´s more better more fast and tight. But anywhere, it´s awesome... cool man!!!

I agree that they are kind of loose. This is because I had to adapt to the capabilities of the software I used. You see, on the rig I've created there is no real muscle under the skin but only groups of deformers and when they are simulated (to create the jiggle) it either looks like that (soft) or it looks as hard as a rock. :D

If I had a muscle system they would look much tighter and controlled.

Best

Tomas

Reule
03-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Hey Tomaya!

That's freaking awesome, man! Astonishing! I'm impressed with the realism of the supposed 'tracked' effects.

Waiting anxious to see some 'making of'.

Congrats for your thesis!

Fernando Reule
SeagullsFly (http://www.seagullsfly.com)
PS: 5 stars for me! :)

Zoober
03-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Hey Tom,

Really enjoyed the finished piece. The elements had a great look and style to them, nice treatment of the colour and contrast.

In certain parts, the muscle seemed to shake a bit too much. But I think that it fits if the look that you're going for is kind of a Hulk-like violent organic growth beneath his skin.

*****'s.

HellBoy
03-19-2007, 11:50 PM
very nice indeed :thumbsup:

5 star from me too

Dokroton
03-20-2007, 03:03 AM
WOW O_O, great job

cgfuyou
03-20-2007, 06:45 AM
i very like it

cgfuyou
03-20-2007, 07:24 AM
I like it ,You are a talent.

Dekartdek
03-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Cool!
Respect!
Hope to see more stuff of you!

tomassalles
03-26-2007, 04:38 AM
Thanks again for all the nice compliments!!

Tomas

Valeu Reule!

tomassalles
05-18-2007, 06:39 AM
Hi guys!

My Thesis short EQUILIBRIO was selected for the 2007 SIGGRAPH animation festival in San Diego.

I am very happy!!

cooperunionstud
05-18-2007, 09:37 PM
hey tom
how do you like the nyu film program? hows their 3d department? i am interested in going grad school for film/vfx and was wondering what my options are in the city.

cooperunionstud
05-18-2007, 09:39 PM
i see that you are at the mill. I tried to apply for a runners job there and was given an interview but i wasn't hired. What is it like over there?

ronbrito
05-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Amazing job... 5 stars!!!
Now I'm waiting for "Making of"

tomassalles
05-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Thank you all

I'll make a making of as soon as I get the time.:thumbsup:

tomas

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2007, 05:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.