PDA

View Full Version : need special advice

sabanco
03-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Hello guys.

First: Compliments to all of you, your work is gorgeous and great!

Second: I'm new to tis HP and new to all of these things. So I have to introduce myself...
25 years old, woman, Sam, studied for 1 year law. After that or let me say while studying it, my lightbulb enlightened (thats how we german use to say...) as I showed a CG pic of Kain(character of Legacy of Kaine) a colleague of mine. Before that I fell in love with that gorgeous clip of Linkin Park on MTV called Points Of Authority. I allways was very good in modelling things with sculpey and my hands. Pretty good I modelled half-face masks or ears for friends. I also (so do friends think of me) can do all arts very well and I'm very adaptive to new techniques. Today I study New Media Arts. But it doesn't really help me in learning how to do all these things you guys do.

So, Third: Can somebody help me, can introduce me, can tell me how to start. I see it's too much to make it all in the same time, but I really want it.

I would be please if someone could help me in some way.
Thx :)

newellteapot
03-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Hi Sam! Wilkommen!

well, just post your questions, reply to the answers, read other people's threads... that's all really :) Also, if you become membe rof the CGsociety you get some advantages (e.g. discounts on books and softwares etc).
To get to know people better you can have a lok at their profile, portfolios etc and send them private messages.
what software do you use or you are intending to use?
I hope you'll liek it here and we will see you back often! don't be shy, we are all here to learn and share ;)
xxx
Monica

sabanco
03-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Thank you for your reply. I already used Maya and had also a little introduce by a guy who modelled these cloths from the characters of Back To Gaya. But really that litte introduce is like picking up a corn of rice from a 1.000 pound bag full of rice. It's nothing comparing to the work of you guys. I think you spend a lot of time over weeks day and night, exploring that 3D world with a program like maya or 3dmax isn't it?
Do you know these learning films called Neex Projects? Everything I already can do is modelling a simple alien.
I rather would like to make a flying bird, a crow, also a human face. I really fancy that fantastic gollum from LotR. Its skin is by the one hand so translucent to light, that it becomes the appearance of an jellyfish an on the other hand it breaks the light and reflects it like a real skin of an healthy human being. That work is great. But I think I need some special programs for skin, eyes and hair...

I would like to know if there are any good magazines or books about learning this or do you prefer cgsociety for its flexibility?

greetings, sam

newellteapot
03-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Hi!

I do recommend you follow the tutorials that come with software, they really help. For the books, well, there's loads around. The official Maya books are the best, I believe (have a look on the Autodesk Maya site or on Amazon).
this one is good:
http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Autodesk-Maya-Foundation-%2BDVD/dp/189717733X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5118176-3028829?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174262339&sr=8-1

Start with simple stuff, like modeling everyday objects. You can complete them quickly and learn a lot. Like cups and pencils, glasses, apples, tables and chairs... and then move to more complex things.
For the hair etc, you'll get there :) Maya can do that kind of things... learn the basics first! ;)
keep in touch

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2007, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.