PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on computer upgrade

BSlinger
03-05-2003, 04:37 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking to do a cheap upgrade on my computer, as I can't afford a full overhaul yet, but am getting frustrated with the speed while playing games.

I currently have an AMD Duron 900 in a Gigabyte board (can't remember the model right now, sorry), with a Geforce2. Now, I'm wondering, what's the fastest CPU I can put in that board? Can I put, say, an Athlon 2400 in it? If not that, what about the Duron 1300?

Also, I'll probably upgrade my vid card to a Ti4200 or something, but obviously that'll just go into the AGP.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

BS.

elvis
03-05-2003, 06:28 AM
need the model number to tell you what the fastest CPU it'll take is.

BSlinger
03-05-2003, 08:12 AM
Sorry, I was wrong, it's an ABIT KT7A.

elvis
03-05-2003, 11:52 AM
the official ABit website states that the KT7A (based on the via kt133a chipset) will only support up to the athlon classic 1.4GHz CPUs using a 133MHz FSB:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/kt7a/techspec.php

the latest BIOS flashes make no mention of athlonXP CPU support either:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/kt7a/biosdrive.php

this board is getting on now in terms of it's CPU support as well as SDRAM only support. i'm not sure the upgrade to a duron 1300 would be a huge jump over your existing 900MHz duron.

my advice would probably be to sell what you can (CPU/motherboard/ram) and upgrade to something better, or finances permitting get a new setup and keep the old one as a dedicated rendering machine, file server, or something equally as handy.

GregHess
03-05-2003, 01:31 PM
Going to an athlon 1.4 would be equivilant to a 1.5/1.6 gigahertz duron.

You might need to buy new ram though, as the 1.4 requires 133 megahertz SDRAM.

If you end up having to buy new ram, as well as a new cpu, you might as well just buy a motherboard with DDR/Barton support, and get DDR instead.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.