PDA

View Full Version : video cards?

underdog
01-03-2002, 10:47 AM
I need some advice on a dual head video card. Anybody have any reccomendations...one that will give good performance with Maya and 3ds max? And preferably won't drain me of all my cash?

3dsmax
01-07-2002, 07:21 AM
ATI Radeon 8500 has dual output display, plus S-Video out, at a price from $190 OEM to $300 Retail version.
I'll pick one up myself in a month or two when price drop comes.

takkun
01-08-2002, 07:49 AM
Don't get a Radeon! They have horrible driver problems especially in OpenGL mode. Instead get a Synergy III (Nvidia Quadro MX GPU) from Elsa, it is certified to work with many high end 3d apps (I don't see Maya on the list, you might need to email them to find out), and I think it costs about $330 dollars. If you don't have a big budget like me, you could also look into a Geforce 2 MX-400 Twin-view card, I'm planning on getting one from evga in the near future, they are priced around $150. Here is a link:

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?Part_Number=032-A4-NV55-S1

I hope this helps.

Monkey_Majick
01-15-2002, 04:50 AM
I just bought a cheap Geforce 2 TI card and did a Quadro conversion on it.

Now it's a Quadro 2 Pro and it works great in MAX and XSI.

Check out this link for more info.

http://www.geocities.com/tnaw_xtenn.../E-G-Quadro.htm

SheepFactory
01-15-2002, 06:34 AM
Quaddro dcc is $640 if you check it out from pricewatch.com

a best buy if you ask me :buttrock:

A|i

philbert
01-16-2002, 10:36 AM
I hear that ATI are actually taken notice of nvidia and have been
updating and releasing new drivers often to fix any issues
that the 8500 has.

I know the card had issues with open GL in max when it was
pre-release / released. but there have been a few driver
updates since then.

I'm considering a 8500 at the moment as i also want dual head
and mpeg acceleration.

Phil.

Chewey
01-16-2002, 12:45 PM
ATI has a long track record of very poor implementation of openGL. I'd recommend an inexpensive dual head Geforce 2 nvidia solution until something better and more reasonably priced than the current higher priced offerings.

Go to pricewatch.com and you can find them for less than $100 usd. I recall seeing them for $79.

Stay away from Ati and wouldn't believe the sales hype or talk about improved drivers until they prove that they can deliver the goods.

epatnor
01-16-2002, 01:30 PM
I'm using the nvidia MX400 64MB and I'm very happy with it! The model I have is single head, but the card in it self is adequate for my (present) needs, and it's inexpensive too. Of course, a Quadro DCC would be preferrable, but I'm putting the $$$ somewhere else for the moment...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.