PDA

View Full Version : How to make particles cluster

Darknon
03-16-2007, 03:33 PM
hi guys

I wanna know if there's a way to make particles cluster together in PF. I'm making explosions, and I want more randomness to the particles. I know the speed variations can do some of what I want, just not enough, the particle still comes out like a sphere. I want like a bigger faster chunk of particles to come out to the left, or another random direction... You know what I mean?

Maybe there's a little PF plugin or something... I'm using max9

PsychoSilence
03-16-2007, 04:28 PM
if itīs a ground explosion for your D-Day Reloaded project use speed by surface with a hugh amount of variation. for the rest use forces ;) wind, gravity, drag etc...

Allan McKay released at tutorial DVD over there at CG-Academy.com called "Air Strike". It deals with explosions:
http://cg-academy.com/pages/topic_plugins/dvds_afterburnmasters3/dvds_afterburnmasters3.php

http://cg-academy.com/pages/topic_plugins/dvds_afterburnmasters3/cg_academy_airstrike.mov

kind regards

anselm

BrandonD
03-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Don't laugh, but the technique I used to use when PArray was the best MAX had, was to make a sphere with animated noise (fast moving) and emit particles from it with a very high motion inheritance value. This causes the sphere to toss particles into clumps. Play with the noise scale, freq and try animating the scale of the sphere.

joconnell
03-16-2007, 05:43 PM
You can also use speed by surface with a texture - a noise map on a sphere will allow you to use the white and black variation to make fast and slow clumps...

Darknon
03-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the answers jovonnel and brandonD, very usefull :-) And exactly what I need...

PsychoSilence: and thanks to you, but I think you misunderstood me a bit. But hell?! :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2007, 04:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.