PDA

View Full Version : 360-degree 3D Starfield in Max9 - How?

Dogstar060763
03-16-2007, 10:40 AM
I recently used a file in Lightwave9 which was of a 3D starfield, comprised of several spheres of points (converted to surfaced polys). This worked extremely well, providing an accurately mapped 360-degree starfield for use in animations (and which even displayed in preview animations). The LW9 file did not use any plugins - it was created purely 'in-program' from simple geometry.

I tried to export this file as an .obj file to use in Max9, but it didn't work (nothing showed up in Max9, not even an object entry).

I have a few of questions I'm hoping some experts here can help with:

1. Is it possible to create something similar in Max9 - i.e., can a sphere be converted to points (or vertices) and then those points converted to polys to create individual 'stars'? I'd assume then I just have to create multiple spheres of points and shift them randomly to create a detailed starfield. But how is this all done?

2. Anyone know why the export to .obj from LW9 just doesn't work when trying to import the geometry into to Max9? Something about the way LW9 uses points converted to polys, maybe?

3. If anyone has a Max-compatible 360-degree 3D starfield object already built and would like to share, I'd love to see it and understand how it was done, or just get your thoughts on how best to create a real, actual 360-degree starfield (not a backdrop) in Max (without the use of plugins, which should be possible).

scrimski
03-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Try PFlow with a birth start/end below zero and a very large sphere emitter. Play around with the size, delete speed and rotation and aplly a selfimlluminated material.

There is a starfield filter in the videopost, but I never used it, so I don't know about it's results - maybe worrth trying.

Dogstar060763
03-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Try PFlow with a birth start/end below zero and a very large sphere emitter. Play around with the size, delete speed and rotation and aplly a selfimlluminated material.

The particle system is one way, granted, but it's not the same as the method used in Lightwave, which converts points on a spherical object (ball) to actual polys and uses them as stars. The problem I've found with using particles mapped across a sphere is that they behave like particles and I can't figure out how to:

1. Keep them constantly on from frame 0 to the last frame and
2. Stop them moving about - stars are fixed into space

There is a starfield filter in the videopost, but I never used it, so I don't know about it's results - maybe worrth trying.

I was dimly aware of Max's videopost starfield generator, but I'm not keen. What I most like about LW's way of doing it is that you are using actual geometry in the scene you can see and preview - no guesswork involved.

Can anyone suggest a way, in Max, to create actual stars (as a fully-mapped spherical object) in actual geometry perhaps using points, vertices? (no suggestions for using wrapped images, please - it never looks right).

I cannot believe there is no way for Max to match what LW can do here.

scrimski
03-16-2007, 03:27 PM
1. Keep them constantly on from frame 0 to the last frame and
2. Stop them moving about - stars are fixed into space
is solved with
a birth start/end below zero and a very large sphere emitter. Play around with the size, delete speed and rotation

Dogstar060763
03-16-2007, 04:17 PM
scrimski, apologies. Yes, you are right. I wasn't paying attention again. Your method is actually spot-on.

Thanks again. Sorry for being an idiot. :banghead:

Can you or anyone else take a look at this Max7 file and see if I'm missing anything - it looks pretty good to me.

SoLiTuDe
03-17-2007, 06:42 PM
i believe you could actually accomplish this by making your object, then using the lattice modifier... it will essentially create spheres at each vert and make a box/cylinder at each edge. You can turn off the edges however. So if you really wanted to do it this way it's possible I'm sure, but I would def. go with the particle solution instead.

Also: http://lastjedioutpost.ru/Plug-ins.htm
has a very good render effect for this called milky way.. i'd check it out at least

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2007, 06:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.