View Full Version : Don't be shy, show a picture of your damaged Athlon

aYs
03-05-2003, 12:12 AM
yesterday i wanted to upgrade my pc and was to remove the headsink and mobo

and that's what i got :D
http://www.ays-arts.de/temp/die01.jpg

i had to deal with athlons before, but this time something went wrong :shrug:

well, it's just my old cpu not the new xp

someone else damages his athlon as well?

bye

elvis
03-05-2003, 12:28 AM
i've put together over 1000 athlon machines, and upgraded/dismantled probably another 200. in that time i've never cracked a core.

if you do crack a core, you've done something wrong. you MUST ALWAYS make sure your heatsink is no angled compared to the core of the athlon chip at any time, otherwise what you see above will happen. it's a pretty simple process if you do it correctly. a bit of time and patience will save you a lot of money.

aYs
03-05-2003, 12:50 AM
it happened while i was trying to remove the heatsink

installing them is easyer than removing :p

well, shit happens
actually i was not very careful

bye

elvis
03-05-2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by aYs
iactually i was not very careful
you are an honest man. anyone who tells you they were careful and still breaks their CPU is lying.

Sieb
03-05-2003, 03:34 AM
Its tradition. Everyone has to burn it up or chip the core. I have burned up one and chipped the core of mine. Mine got chipped from testing different HSFs until I finally settled for my Swiffie 462.

GregHess
03-05-2003, 04:23 AM
I cracked my Athlon 1.0 Gigahertz when my globalwin's mounting mechanism SNAPPED after it was firmly attached. (It didn't come off, it actually broke off one of metal ends of the heatsink). It made a horrible noise (luckily the machine wasn't on) and took a massive chip off the side of the chip, destroying it.

I contacted globalwin who refused to refund my heatsink money, or even repair the heatsink, no admit to a manufacturing defect on that particular model. (This was 98/99 It was the FOP38 I believe).
You can see why globalwin isn't exactly on my friendly list.

I've also burnt out a Athlon 1.333 on a Iwill KK266 (KT133A board) when I didn't use enough spacers for the Alpha 8045 Pal heatsink. They really do give off a little puff of smoke as their soul escapes.

amygdalae
03-05-2003, 06:34 AM
Haha

I destroyed a 1GHz Slot 1 PIII proc. Totally my fault... That's the only chip I ever ruined. For some reason my slot 1 procs ran really hot in my box at the time, so I bought some big globalwin HSFs to go on my slot1 cartridges... Of course to use the aftermarket heatsinks you have to dismantle the intel cartridge in an irreversible manner. Moreover the mount of the globalwin hsf wasnt very good and it slipped and chipped the corner off of my coppermine : (

No love.

Yeah globalwin blows. It's all about stock heatsinks for me since then : )

With the exception of the PAL8045 which is good unless you replace your CPU much (since you have to pull the whole mobo out to remove the damn thing.

Sieb
03-05-2003, 07:39 AM
My first HSF was a globalwin (IIRC, hehe..) with a Delta 60mm on it.. man.. was that thing loud.. So fast and loud it threw a fan blade and tore the hsf off. Luckily it happened as I was working on it (well, sortta, the fan blade flew out the side and across my office while I wasn't looking). So then I upgraded to an SK6, which worked great, just not in my case, thus, I upgraded to the Swifftech, best 80 bucks I ever spent. I still use it today, and would continue if AMD didn't do away with mounting holes... grr...

No matter, my new cube has heatpipes. :bounce:

GregHess
03-05-2003, 01:07 PM
Sieb,

Speaking of heatpipes. Those XPC Shuttle heatpipes are amazing. I replaced the stock XPC heatpipe with what I thought was a pretty kick ass cooler. Turned out all I did was increase the noise level, and waste 30 bucks. Hehe. Same idle/load temps.

Also remember killing two 300a celeron's after almost 2 years of overclocking...the damn chips just gave out one day. Poor guys, they probably produced more crappy renders then any cpu in existence.

I've also chipped a 1.4 Tbird. Still works though. If you do chip a processor, don't cry off the get go. Remount it and try again. Sometimes those brittle cores can take a beating and keep on tickin.

aYs
03-05-2003, 02:59 PM
my athlon will never tick again :scream:

first the damaged area was very tiny (left corner, bottom)

so, i istalled it again to check if he's still alife
nope, dead

after that i damaged it even more after removing the heatsink again
well, then i was even more careless

:rolleyes:

GregHess
03-05-2003, 03:01 PM
There are a few things you can do with a dead processor.

1) Show it to your friends
2) Use it as a spare cpu to test a new heatsink's mounting procedure on a socket A, without possibily damaging a new cpu.
3) Try and get to the actual core. (Very difficult).

elvis
03-05-2003, 10:18 PM
4) attach it to your keychain! :)

aYs
03-05-2003, 10:44 PM
1) yea, but i'm not the first one
2) i'm not going to remove that heatsink again until i get a Athlon64
3) i would not see much, would i?
4) 462 pins! ouch:D

MadMax
03-05-2003, 11:50 PM
I have never ever done anything remotely like that to a chip.

EVER.

PlanetMongo
03-06-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Sieb

No matter, my new cube has heatpipes. :bounce:

You got a Shuttle? I'm actually ordering my SN41G2 next week. The inclusion of dual-monitor output out of the box really got me excited. :) I'll be lugging this with me to my weekend job strictly for learning 3D stuff. I may upgrade the video eventually to a dual-output Quadra or something, but I'll just wait until I see just how this thing performs stock.

CgFX
03-08-2003, 08:15 AM
Looking at the Quadro FX 1000 it fits into the Shuttle box. I guess the new models of GeForce FX boards announced this week would work as well.

Not sure about power but it would probably be fine without too much memory and disk.

Sgt_Bukkake_Man
03-08-2003, 08:26 AM
how loud are the newest shuttle PCs?
I've read some reviews that said the fans were really loud, and then one that said it was really quiet.

mage111
03-08-2003, 02:10 PM
on the topic of broken athlons (ohh this'll fire me right up for the day)

i took my computer in to my x-tech that did all my work (until this incident and i told him to **** off and been doing everything else for myself, since), and we had made this heatsinc from some parts we had, yeah yeah stupid me i shoulda known better, but we figured it would work better then my current pos generic heatsinc...

so as he was applying the heatsinc to the mobo (we had to screw it on cus we couldnt clamp it down)... we heard a little snap like sound... we had no idea what it was... so we tried firing up the computer but nothing
SHI*!!..

so he took off the heatsinc, and the moron fractured it... he applied so much tension and pressure to it, that it snapped... grr.. that didnt make me happy one bit.

so he sent in my cpu on warranty (not telling amd what had happend of course heh) about 2 weeks later. and i had to pay the shipping of 20$ for a cpu, from, middle of canada, to eastern canada... 20$... i think i shipped 10cd's to a friend in texas for 11$ for a 3day travel. that got me furyed up.

and i was without a cpu for i'd say over 3+weeks.

(this guy also formatted my hdd 3 times without backing it up properly, ive lost so much shit cusa him. over 3yrs of work)

so thats my rant, and man im so angry now i can skip my daily(not really) cup of coffee

GregHess
03-09-2003, 01:35 AM
Sgt,

I'd say they tend to be a bit on the quieter side. The fan rpm is controlled by cpu temp, so if you happen to do hours and hours of rendering, it could get progressively louder and louder. At full rpm, its pretty damn loud, but under normal usage its realitively quiet. (The CDROM/DVDROM drives are louder usually).

However...(yes always a however). One tends to place their shuttle xpc box MUCH closer then the average desktop/workstation. Mine's just a about 1.5-2 ft away, as opposed to 4-6 ft for the workstations. This closer distance tends to make things like cdrom's/dvdrom's quite a bit louder then in an average workstation.

Sieb
03-09-2003, 03:27 AM
Yea, Greg is right. Under load it can get pretty noisy, especially for me since my systems are usually under the desk as opposed to on it infront of me (practically). Its quiet when its idle. You can also have it set to just full speed instead of it ramping up and down all the time. Changing the fan is also an option if you want a quieter one like a Vantec Steath or something.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.