PDA

View Full Version : Animation Reel - Kristoffer Clark

Kristofferic
03-16-2007, 06:47 AM
Hello

I'm Kris and I am graduating at the end of March as a Character Animator. Currently I'm attempting to land my first animation job in either Film or Gaming CGI. I wanted everyone to be able to view my Reel in hopes to get back some good critiques.

http://www.kristofferclark.com/images/cgtalk_demo_preview.jpg

You guys can view the reel two different ways; as a flash .Flv, or quicktime.

Flash Reel = http://www.kristofferclark.com/flash_demoreel.html (540x360)

QuickTime Reel = http://www.kristofferclark.com/videos/kclark_qt360_stream.mov (right-click if you prefer to download the .mov first) it's about 44mb. (360x240)

My portfolio website address = http://www.kristofferclark.com (http://www.kristofferclark.com/)

Thanks everyone.

enaverniouk
03-16-2007, 08:38 AM
I think the breakdancing guy was fantastic. My only problem is the announcer - the lipsync is a little off.

Overall, Great job.

HOP
03-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey Kristofferic your reel is looking great. There are things that still need more work but overall is a good start. I like the breakdance one.
Keep on working!:)
Cheers!

Kristofferic
03-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Hey HOP,

thanks for the commentÖ Iím defiantly planning to improve on the reel as soon as possible. Hopefully in the next week or so I can fix some of the issues... Atm I have a good amount of work I can put into the reel, but I really need to polish them up before I can put them in. Thanks again.

LAZIKAT
03-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Hey Kristofferic your reel is looking great. There are things that still need more work but overall is a good start. I like the breakdance one.
Keep on working!:)
Cheers!

hey kris.. i bet its a lil crazy at AI hu? i think we will be there on wensday but not to sure... but as far as your reel i agree with HOP. There is some good things happening especially in the intro and the break dancing stuff looks really nice! but the others need some work and i would of loved to see more animation. But good luck brotha.. and ill prob see ya wensday.

Kristofferic
03-16-2007, 03:37 PM
hey kris.. i bet its a lil crazy at AI hu? i think we will be there on wensday but not to sure... but as far as your reel i agree with HOP. There is some good things happening especially in the intro and the break dancing stuff looks really nice! but the others need some work and i would of loved to see more animation. But good luck brotha.. and ill prob see ya wensday.

sup felix,
yeah i had about 45secs more on the reel two days ago but a couple of the teachers said i should take some out for now. I'm kinda sad about the lenght, so i'm still not sure. I haven't burnt the dvd's yet. i'll send you a link to the longer version later today, let me know what you think.

Kristofferic
03-16-2007, 07:18 PM
I think the breakdancing guy was fantastic. My only problem is the announcer - the lipsync is a little off.

Overall, Great job.

enaverniouk - thanks on the breakdancing, I wanted to animate something and see if I could keep its momentum going, once I get some free time Iím thinking of making a street corner with some cardboard on the ground that he can breakdance on.

And you're right about the announcer, I think I need to redo some of the blendshapes... once I get those fixed I think that should help.

Thanks on the input.

LAZIKAT
03-16-2007, 07:27 PM
sup felix,
yeah i had about 45secs more on the reel two days ago but a couple of the teachers said i should take some out for now. I'm kinda sad about the lenght, so i'm still not sure. I haven't burnt the dvd's yet. i'll send you a link to the longer version later today, let me know what you think.

yeah man sounds good

Kristofferic
03-16-2007, 08:05 PM
sup felix,

felix & everyone else -

Here's the longer version of my animation reel, with the stuff that I recently took out. Please compare the two reels and let me know what you think. I'm going crazy on what reel I should put onto dvd to send out. If you think Iím missing a certain type of animation let me know and Iíll get to work on it.

http://www.kristofferclark.com/images/cgtalk_demo_preview2.jpg

Older Flash Reel = http://www.kristofferclark.com/longer_flash_demoreel.html (540x360)

sorry i don't have a quicktime streaming version to upload atm.

LAZIKAT
03-17-2007, 12:48 AM
hey man.. yeah i liked the longer version a better. I showed a couple of guys here at method.. and they seaid u had some nice animations. They also like lthe longer version better. The first one is nice but i wanted to see a lil more and the 2nd version shows just enough i think. looking good!

Kristofferic
03-17-2007, 01:36 AM
hey man.. yeah i liked the longer version a better. I showed a couple of guys here at method.. and they seaid u had some nice animations. They also like lthe longer version better. The first one is nice but i wanted to see a lil more and the 2nd version shows just enough i think. looking good!

i think i'm going to make an inbetween reel. i'm thinking of added only the really good parts of the stuff that i cut out, but not make it as long, cause i'm starting to think it gets boring at the end.. a little too drawn out maybe

I'm glad your co-workers liked the stuff. thanks for getting back to me about it so fast.

krazyrokr
03-17-2007, 03:41 AM
Hey Kris, yeah I think I like the older longer version better as well. But more importantly I think you should focus more on the content of the reel and not so much how long it will run... you know how I feel about the gladiator short. The two stronger pieces in the reel are the opening shot and the break dancer. Looking at the break dancer, I've noticed some pops in the animation that really keeps it from being incredible. As for the opening with the warrior being chased, you have to remember that this is a demo reel and not a film. So while the shot with the shaky camera is a great techinque for a film, it is not so great for a reel. It doesn't help employers if they can't make out the vital aspects of the animation. So really try to showcase your work. I know for a fact, animation is one of the harder fields to get into. Good luck at the show on Wednesday. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to make it, probably not.

Kristofferic
03-17-2007, 06:48 AM
Hey Kris, yeah I think I like the older longer version better as well. But more importantly I think you should focus more on the content of the reel and not so much how long it will run... you know how I feel about the gladiator short. The two stronger pieces in the reel are the opening shot and the break dancer. Looking at the break dancer, I've noticed some pops in the animation that really keeps it from being incredible. As for the opening with the warrior being chased, you have to remember that this is a demo reel and not a film. So while the shot with the shaky camera is a great techinque for a film, it is not so great for a reel. It doesn't help employers if they can't make out the vital aspects of the animation. So really try to showcase your work. I know for a fact, animation is one of the harder fields to get into. Good luck at the show on Wednesday. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to make it, probably not.

Sup man, finally someone to give it to me straight! Thanks much. I hate those pops in the breakers windmills with a passion, they are the first on the plate of fix's I need to do once I graduate. I would love to do it right now. But the school's holding me to finishing the "gladiator" short or I can't show on Wednesday. So I can't fix until after then. Thanks for letting me know

patfour
03-17-2007, 04:12 PM
I agree that the breakdancer is one of your strongest pieces, but that it could still use some tweaking to make it even better. You've said that you'll fix the windmills when you've got the time, and I think that will definitely strengthen the piece.

I'd also take another look at the moment where he first plants his right foot (the one on our left) while the other is still in the air. There seems to be an unnatural pause in the motion there before his torso starts rotating. I watched the motion frame by frame in Quicktime and saw that I was wrong: there actually is no pause. The torso is hidden behind his waist at that moment, but his left arm lifts off the ground the very frame after the foot is planted. Even so, there still seems to be a pause between the foot going down and the arm going up. I think this might be because those two motions happen in two separate steps while the the rest of his movements overlap so fluidly. I'd try bringing that left arm off the ground a frame or two before the foot touches down, giving him a moment of being completely airborne and constantly twisting. Then again, it could just be that I'm looking at things wrong.

My only other critique is about the Gladiators clip at the end, specifically where the gladiator on our right shoves the one on our left. I think that his anticipation before the shove goes too slowly and gradually; it almost looks like it's in slow motion, but the announcer's voiceover is playing in realtime. I'd suggest having the gladiator jerk his hands back into a 'ready-to-shove' position, pausing for a few frames to build anticpation, and then quickly thrusting his palms forward and into the opponent. You don't want him to go so fast that he's jerky, but you also don't want him to go so slow that he's graceful.

Overall good job though, and good luck on finishing up the short!

Kristofferic
03-18-2007, 05:54 AM
Thanks for everyone checking out my animation.

I've decided on final version of my demo reel. The finished version contains animations from but the 1st post as well as my older demo reel. I think this is the happy medium I was looking for. I appreciate all the critiques, it defiantly affected how the final reel came out. I'll be burning this reel to DVD tomorrow and will be sending things out by next week.

Here it is, flash .flv(540x360)
http://www.kristofferclark.com/demoreel.html (http://www.kristofferclark.com/demoreel.html)

thanks again everyone. Comments always welcome, but not expected :)

Irma
03-18-2007, 06:26 AM
I loved the animations!

congratulations

I.

Kristofferic
03-18-2007, 11:26 AM
patfour - thanks for the critique, Iíll go back over the gladiator push and try what you said. Now that Iíve looked it over I see what you're saying.

Irma - Thank you.

MindTraveler
03-19-2007, 06:04 PM
I think you've got some solid Crits especially form Ricky and others and you now know what needs to be done. Overall I think there are some great qualities in your reel that hopefully will capture the attention of employers and get you landed well.

Good luck on Wednesday. I don't get into Soul Cal till later that night so ... I'll be missing it unfortunately :(

Progression.

_mind

Kristofferic
03-20-2007, 10:15 AM
I think you've got some solid Crits especially form Ricky and others and you now know what needs to be done. Overall I think there are some great qualities in your reel that hopefully will capture the attention of employers and get you landed well.

Good luck on Wednesday. I don't get into Soul Cal till later that night so ... I'll be missing it unfortunately :(

Progression.

_mind

Hey Anwar,

Yeah Iím glad I had the guts to put my reel up for everyone to see. Honestly I thought it was going to be butchered waaaay more :) But yes, I know what to fix and Iím on it! Thankfully The Gladiator short is finally done and out of my life. So it's finally all about my reel! Exciting times my friend.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2007, 10:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.