PDA

View Full Version : Proceedural Shield Mark Operator Artifacting

supremepizza
03-16-2007, 01:51 AM
The Title of the post says it all. I have a proceedural shield setup and I'm using a mark operator. It's an output map in the self-illum and a radial-gradient in the opacity. The shield is a raytrace. It only artifacts for about 15-25 degrees. I'm not sure if it is a problem with the angle, the combination of materials, the mark operator, a raytrace issue. I've tried to debug this several ways and haven't come up with a solution.

This is fairly time sensitive so if you know anyone that can help with this I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Bill

Edit: Screenshot might help.:) Attached below.

Gravey
03-16-2007, 04:51 AM
i'm guessing you've been following this tutorial but in case you havn't, here's the link:

http://www.3d-palace.com/xenomorphic/education/doc_auto_shield_generator.htm

It describes exactly the effect you're trying to achieve

OlegB
03-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Did you try to increase the surface offset value in the Shape Mark operator?

Thanks,
Oleg B.

supremepizza
03-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Gravey:
Nope didn't use any tutorials. Thanks though I'll check it out when I have some time.

Oleg:
Thanks for the reply. I did try increasing the offset without any changing the artifacting. I'll attempt to increase it more just for the offending frames since if I increase it too much it is noticable from other angles. This may be a case where I'll need to keyframe the increased offset on offending frames. I thought this may be a case of the mark intersecting the mesh as well. Thanks for confirming my suspicions, it's hard to tell with the opacity of the shield mesh.

Side question: Is there a way to increase the mesh density of the mark operator to conform better and cause fewer problems?

Gravey
03-17-2007, 11:43 PM
i haven't used shape mark with box intersection for a while but i believe the only way to increase its mesh density is to increase the mesh density of the intersecting object since that's where the shape mark gets its shape from.

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2007, 11:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.