PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question

Nem
03-04-2003, 10:41 PM
im just about to buy a new computer and i would like to build it myself, but i have no idea about computer hardware :(
so, it may seem like a stupid question, but when u buy these parts new and seperately, do they come with instructions on exactly how to install them? :rolleyes: if not are there any sites you recommend of stuff like this?

if i cant do it on my own id have to get someone else to do it :(

elvis
03-04-2003, 10:47 PM
the motherboard manual will give you some very brief instructions, but probably still not enough for a complete beginner.

punching "newbie guide to building a PC" into google gave me this:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/buildyourpc/

google is your friend.

mucksmear
03-04-2003, 11:39 PM
hi Nem,

I just finished building my first computer, with good help from the folks on this forum.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36386

As far as instructions are concerned, I would assume that the quality of instructions vary across diff components and diff brands.

In any event, I found that the instructions that came with my mobo, complimented the instructions that came with my case fairly well (diff brands). When installing the mobo, I found I had to have the instruction manuals for both the case and mobo open at the same time so I could coordinate and cross reference them to determine which parts of the instructions did not apply, and which parts did.

Beyond that, I found the installation and configuring of everything else quite simple and straight forward and very standardized.

My Hard drives did not come with instructions, but their installation was very typical and standardized, and was essentially covered in the mobo manual as well as the case manual, and reference is certainly available online thru the manufacturer's website.

If you can follow instructions you should have no problems. It's fun and rewarding.

kwshipman
03-04-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by elvis
the motherboard manual will give you some very brief instructions, but probably still not enough for a complete beginner.

punching "newbie guide to building a PC" into google gave me this:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/buildyourpc/

google is your friend.

My asus A7v333 came with both a set of basic instruction and a very detailed book. for the most part, everything is pertty straight foward though. deffinatly ask any question you have before guessing and doing something dumb, it happens to all of us.:D

Nem
03-05-2003, 01:27 AM
well ive been doin quite a bit of reading, and atm, im just worried about 2 things:

1. i wont have enough wires/cables and i wudnt know what ones to get
2. how to install the PSU because there are so many different volt things, so many wires etc

elvis
03-05-2003, 02:46 AM
1) the motherboard will come with enough cables for you to hook everything up

2) the PSU plug that slots into the motherboard can only be physically put in one way. they're designed to be idiot proof.

again: use google. there are a million websites out there that will clearly spell these simple bits out. open up your existing computer and see hwo everything fits together to get an idea of what lies ahead of you.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.