PDA

View Full Version : Some more TP Presets

Srek
03-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi all,
i justed put some bits and pieces i had laying around in a library and put it on my website
http://www.bonkers.de/tp/presets/bitsandpieces.zip
It includes
TP Avoid - Particles will try to not come near this object
TP Group Change - Particles will change group when colliding with a geometry
TP Particle Rotator - Similar to TP Rotator 2 but works based on particles (nice for rotating trails etc.)
TP Prefered Direction - Particle will try to move in the direction of the z axis of this object
TP Spawning Emitter - Particles will emitt particles, nice for explosions or firework trails
TP Spherical Gravity - New variation of the old preset, this time with spline controlled falloff
TP Spherical Wind - New variation of the old preset, this time with spline controlled falloff

Hope you find it usefull
Björn

Rich-Art
03-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks srek. TP presets will always come in handy.

Peace,
Rich_Art. :thumbsup:

Srek
03-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Please find an example scene on the Spawning Emitter and the Particle Rotator here
http://www.bonkers.de/download/tp_trail_rotator.c4d
Cheers
Björn

TimC
03-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks Bjorn,

As always excellent stuff.

cheers
Tim

JoelOtron
03-15-2007, 04:38 PM
fantastic--thanks bjorn

paulselhi
03-15-2007, 07:39 PM
I think maxon should give you a sabbatical so you can make the definitive TP tutorial video series..it would sell like hot cakes

Rantin Al
03-16-2007, 04:33 AM
Thanks Björn. :thumbsup:

You are becoming telepathic.
The Group Change and Spawning Emitter were top of my wish list.
The others will come in handy too.

Have you any plans for updating the TP Presets Reference Manual?
Guys, if you don't already have the current TP Ref, you really should get it. (Maxon Downloads)

Cheers, Alan.

Srek
03-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Have you any plans for updating the TP Presets Reference Manual?
Yes, but currently i simply don't have the time.

Cheers
Björn

Rantin Al
03-16-2007, 09:47 AM
No problem Björn, next week will do fine.
That gives you the whole week-end.:D

Cheers, Alan.

rurik
03-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Please forgive the newbie question, I'm learning TP, but have little knowledge of Xpresso.

I'm trying to attach a shape to these great particle presets, but I'm not sure in what node I'm supposed to do it?

Thanks for any tips

Alex

akport
03-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Are these for R10? They are not working in R9.6 I get an error about the library and an unknown file format for the trail rotator.

Thanks,
Adam

Srek
03-17-2007, 10:59 AM
All TP Preset emitters need a Particle Geometry object in the scene to create actual geometry. Which shape is emitted is determined by the object you drag in the Shape link field in the emitter preset.
The library i posted is for R10 only.
Cheers
Björn

AdamT
03-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Great stuff from the TP God! Thanks Srek. :)

benytone
03-20-2007, 01:04 AM
Great stuff from the TP God! Thanks Srek. :)

Absolute :thumbsup:

LemonNado
03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks!
Rainer

Srek
03-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the friendly comments, it's nice to see that stuff is actualy used by someone :)
If anyone has ideas on what else should be put in a preset please post it here, i'm still collecting ideas. Please be aware that there is a limit for complexity since i want to keep the presets compatible to one another.
Cheers
Björn

govinda
03-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Awesome as usual. The only way to learn TP for me was to take apart the various pieces of the Srek Canon. Without the presets you've provided, I'd bet TP would be used only by a small number of people. They're indispensible.

spirozero
03-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I've tried to pick them apart, but I still can't get them to work. :sad:

So, I went back to the beginning - I just watched the 3D Fluff QT's on "Thinking Particles: The Basics." (http://forum.3dfluff.com/archive/index.php?t-127.html)

But I still can't get them to work! For example, the tp_trail_rotator file. I need to add a Particle Geometry, right? Then I need an object, like a sphere. So, I add a sphere and drag it into the emitter's Particle Shape field.

When I press play in the timeline I can see that the emitter is actually doing something, but when I render it out I see nothing.

Or what about the TP Spherical Gravity preset? What is this preset supposed to do? Am I supposed to add a Particle Geometry and a sphere object to this preset?

Same with the TP Spline Emitter preset. I can't get it to do anything, even after adding a Particle Geometry, Spline Object, and Sphere Object.

I just don't get it. Thinking Particles is so mind numbing. :sad:

Srek
03-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Spirozero: Have you checked the documentation on the TP Spline Emitter? You will find an example file there.
Cheers
Björn

spirozero
03-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Spirozero: Have you checked the documentation on the TP Spline Emitter? You will find an example file there.

I've never seen an example file for the TP Spline Emitter. Would you be able to post a link to it?

Srek
03-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Would you be able to post a link to it?
No, you will need to download the HTML documentation of the presets from the MAXON website and unzip it to your local drive to access it.
Cheers
Björn

spirozero
03-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Wow, what a goldmine! I guess I overlooked that zip file - the one with all the TP examples. Extremely helpful.

I've looked at quite a few of the examples. I think I sort of understand what's going on in most of them. But I'm confused about the followspline, movespline, & movesurface examples. With all of the other examples I've looked at there's nothing in the TP Standard Emitter's Particle Group field. In these other three examples, however, there's a "Free Particles" assigned.

I cannot figure out where this "Free Particles" comes from, or what it's doing. What purpose does it serve???

Thanks Srek.

------------------------------------

OK, 10 minutes later ...

I found the "Free Particles" in the XPresso Editor > Custom > Thinking Particles Settings. I see that they're a particle group, along with Stick 2 Hair, Sparks, Trail, Rocket, and Group2.

How were these groups created? And I guess I still don't understand what purpose they serve. Can you point me to a manual? :D

Srek
03-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Particle groups are a bit neglected in the documentation, one of these days i'll have to write something about them. Their main use is to seperate them from one another.
Creating them is easy, right clcik in the TP Settings treeview to create subgroups of the "All" group. Particle Groups are hierarchical, if you use a group in a preset all particles that belong to children of that group are affected too just like child objects in CINEMA are moved when their parent is moving.

Cheers
Björn

Srek
03-23-2007, 09:24 AM
I wrote up some info on this, you can find it here: http://wiki.c4d-jack.de/wiki/En:TP_Particle_Groups

Cheers
Björn

spirozero
03-23-2007, 11:53 AM
I wrote up some info on this, you can find it here: http://wiki.c4d-jack.de/wiki/En:TP_Particle_Groups

Thanks Srek! Just printed it out.

I have another quick question. I've noticed that the "TP Standard Emitter" is the same in roughly 85% of the preset examples. So, I'm trying to pick apart & understand this emitter. What I can't figure out is how you added all of the User Data to the emitter in the XPresso Editor. When I create my own emitter and click on the red box in the upper right corner I do not see Life, Life Variation, Speed, Speed Variation, etc.

Srek
03-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Check this http://www.bonkers.de/xpa/xpressointerface.html on how to create user data fields and access the ports.
Cheers
Björn

spirozero
03-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Ahh. OK. That makes sense.

I think I'm beginning to grasp Particle Groups. :applause:

I'll probably have more questions as I continue to pick apart the preset examples! :D Thanks for all your help Srek.

spirozero
03-23-2007, 01:10 PM
I need to vent.

For whatever reason Trapcode's Particular has been fairly easy for me to grasp. There are basically six different categories: Emitter, Particle, Physics, Aux System, Visibility, and Motion Blur.

Within each of these is a list of parameters, all of which understandably affect/influence the category.

Again, for whatever reason this setup makes sense to me.

I wish Cinema's TP were this easy. There's just too much dragging-n-dropping, PPass-ing, node connecting craziness. I just can't believe it has to be this complicated.

Thank God for the TP preset examples!

spirozero
03-23-2007, 02:02 PM
No more venting.

Srek - I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with the TP Spawning Emitter. I've added the Particle Geometry and a Sphere Object. Then I dropped the "All" group into the emitter's Particle Group field. Still, I'm not seeing anything. :shrug:

Rantin Al
03-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Thank God for the TP preset examples!

Yes indeed. Thanks Björn.

Stick with it Spiro. Just imagine the fun you can look forward to with the diabolical combination of TP, Pyro and MoGraph.:eek:

Shall I book you a room at the Rest Home?
Cheers, Alan.

spirozero
03-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Stick with it Spiro. Just imagine the fun you can look forward to with the diabolical combination of TP, Pyro and MoGraph.:eek:

Don't forget Hair! :D

Rantin Al
03-23-2007, 02:34 PM
:D

Spiro, I'm playing around with the same preset.
If you want to zip your file I'll see if I can help.

Cheers, Alan.

spirozero
03-23-2007, 02:53 PM
OK. One second ...

------------------------------------

EDIT: Actually, all I'm really doing is using the standard_emitter example file as a starting point. Then I add the TP Spawning Emitter to this scene.

From what I can tell particles are now "spawning" from the Platonic Objects coming from the TP Standard Emitter. But I can't get any shapes to actually spawn. It's just the little plus signs.

BEWARE! My machine (Intel Core2 Duo!) has frozen up several times with this set-up. Thus, I've had to greatly lower the Particle Number of the TP Spawning Emitter.

Rantin Al
03-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Check that you have dragged the Sphere onto the Particle Shape field of the Spawning Emitter.

This should give you the trail from the primary emitter particle objects.

Srek
03-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Have you checked the wiki article on particle groups? Without using different groups the spawning emitter is working like a virus or cancer on speed. If every particle in the setup belongs to the same group (all) then every particle created by the spawning emitter will emitt new particles on next evaluation.
Example: Standard Emittter set to Shot 100, spawning emitter set to 100
Frame 1

Emission by Standard Emitter 100 particles
Emission by Spawning Emitter 100x100=10.000
Over all: 10.100 particles
Frame 2

Already existing: 10.100 particles
Emission by Spawning Emitter 10.200x100=1.020.000
Over all: 1.030.200 particles
Frame 3

Already existing: 1.030.200 particles
Emission by Spawning Emitter 1.030.200=103.020.000
Over all: 104.050.300 particles
Frame 4
I think you get the drift ;)

Only by excluding the newly spawned particles from beeing used by the spawing emitter again you get a setup that is usefull for anything else but the experimental verification of exponential growth :)
Check the example included in the wiki to see how groups are used to prevent the problem.
Cheers
Björn

spirozero
03-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah, the Groups_example sort of makes sense. All those nodes within the XPresso Editor are confusing - I have no idea how those emitters were created. But otherwise I think I understand the function of the various groups.

One thing I think is throwing me off - the TP manual says that PStorm and PBorn are emitters; or at least that they create particle streams. Why then is the "TP Spawning Emitter" or the "TP Standard Emitter" necessary??? Why not just start with the PStorm or the PBorn? What purpose do the Spawning/Standard Emitters serve???

Also, referring back to the TP manual - I see that all the various nodes are broken down into categories/groups. Can someone explain to me (in laymen terms) the basic, overall function of these groups?

TP Initiator Group
TP Condition Group
TP Generator Group
TP Standard Group
TP Dynamic Group

Thanks.

Srek
03-23-2007, 08:02 PM
One thing I think is throwing me off - the TP manual says that PStorm and PBorn are emitters; or at least that they create particle streams. Why then is the "TP Spawning Emitter" or the "TP Standard Emitter" necessary??? Why not just start with the PStorm or the PBorn? What purpose do the Spawning/Standard Emitters serve???
I think you still miss the idea behind the presets.
The presets are for those people who don't like to open Xpresso and create or change setups on their own. If you want to do everything on your own without presets, you can do fine without any other objects except the one you need to hold your Xpresso tag.

TP Initiator Group - Nodes that start an iteration over one or more groups of particles
TP Condition Group - Nodes that allow for action depending on specific conditions
TP Generator Group - Nodes that generate (emitt) new particles
TP Standard Group - Nodes that you need to set any kind of property of a particle
TP Dynamic Group - Nodes that allow for dynamic (real world like) influence on particles
TP Helper Group - Nodes that provide data or information on particles

Hope this helps
Björn

spirozero
03-23-2007, 08:16 PM
I think you still miss the idea behind the presets.
The presets are for those people who don't like to open Xpresso and create or change setups on their own. If you want to do everything on your own without presets, you can do fine without any other objects except the one you need to hold your Xpresso tag.

Yeah, I guess I'm just hoping to gain some working knowledge of XPresso so that I can eventually create my own.

Thanks for the definitions. I'll continue to mess around with TP this weekend.

Rantin Al
03-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Yeech! :) Ok, I'll try and answer the first couple of points.

• PBorn and PStorm both initiate the generation of particles.
PBorn is a simplified version of PStorm which has more parameters available.

• The Standard Emitter generates particles from a defined position - usually a Null.
The Spawning Emitter generates new particles based on the position of previously emitted primary particles.

Edit: Björn saved me some typing. ;)

Best thing is to work through the book one Node at a time and play with simple examples to see what goes on. Paul Selhi (SFX) has some good examples of Fragment and MatterWaves.

I'm afraid it is a bit of a grind ahead but you will soon get a grip on it.
HTH, Alan.

spirozero
03-23-2007, 09:01 PM
• PBorn and PStorm both initiate the generation of particles.
PBorn is a simplified version of PStorm which has more parameters available.

• The Standard Emitter generates particles from a defined position - usually a Null.
The Spawning Emitter generates new particles based on the position of previously emitted primary particles.

But you can't generate particles from the Standard Emitter without PBorn or PStorm, right? For there to be particles you always have to have one or the other (PBorn or PStorm), right?

I could start with PBorn or PStorm, but I wouldn't have a defined position, yes?

I'm afraid it is a bit of a grind ahead

:sad:

Srek
03-23-2007, 09:26 PM
But you can't generate particles from the Standard Emitter without PBorn or PStorm, right? For there to be particles you always have to have one or the other (PBorn or PStorm), right?

I could start with PBorn or PStorm, but I wouldn't have a defined position, yes?

:sad:

TP Standard Emitter is at it's heart simply a Null object. Everything it is good for is to hold the Xpresso tag and user data as well as provide a handy position and alignment to use to control PStorm. The very basic (usefull) emitter setup consists of PStorm and an object node that provides a position and an alignement for it. For a not so usefull emitter you can leave the object node out but that would leave you with particles beeing emitted in the center of your scene along the global z axis.
Maybe check Xpresso Anonymous on my website for more info.
http://www.bonkers.de/xpa/tpfirework.html
http://www.bonkers.de/xpa/tpemitter.html

Cheers
Björn

Rantin Al
03-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Yes, that's correct.

If you look at the XPresso for the Basic Emitter preset you will see that "TP Standard Emitter" is actually just the null which is used as the holder for the User Data input fields.

These User Data ports are then connected to corresponding ports on the PStorm node.
In turn the PStorm outputs a Particle Birth stream based on the User Data fields.
The Birth port is then fed to various nodes which combine different parameters of the stream plus info from the User Data.

As Björn said, make use of these core presets and add the extras instead of starting from scratch.

I'm building up my own library for Pyro based presets. These just start from the basic preset, get modified then saved to my own User Library.

Does that make the mud any clearer? :)
Cheers, Alan.

Edit: Link to SFX. (http://www.black-and-white-to-color.com/ipbsfx/index.php?)

mikepop
03-31-2007, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the info,a lot of great infomation here.

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2007, 01:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.