PDA

View Full Version : Cutting of the render time needed....

FlexGiddy
03-04-2003, 08:16 PM
I have a project that I'm working on and the only way that my room looks good is when I Raytrace.....for some reason the textures just look better. WELL anyway. I have a hour and a half render time per frame. My movie is going to be 5 minutes long I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions on how to lower my render time..... I can post some renders if need. Then on top of all that I have a few questions about combining live action in a animation......:eek: I have no idea how to do that either..... The further along this post goes I'll let you all know my ideas....if their possible....Thanks.

Ed

Norb
03-04-2003, 08:44 PM
post some renders...

stunndman
03-04-2003, 08:52 PM
for some reason the textures just look better

that's a good place to start - why does it look better with raytracing on ? reflections ? that would be expensive

post a frame so we get an idea

FlexGiddy
03-05-2003, 04:23 AM
well I can't attach the images because I guess they're too big.....hmm if you would like my email address is e_giddy13@yahoo.com...I'd be able to send them.......

dmcgrath
03-05-2003, 07:03 AM
You should just host them. There are freebie webspaces everywhere.
For your problem...
As a suggestion, stop using raytrace and start working a bit more creatively with more lights in your scene.
Bake shadows as textures if you can.
Render in layers.
Use procedural textures where you can.
Use layered shaders not layered textures.
Don't forget to optimize you scene before rendering, Maya will tell you that you cannot undo this action, so save it first.

I can't think of anything else, any one have any other suggestions?

alexx
03-05-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by dmcgrath

Use procedural textures where you can.

emm.. heavy usage of procedural textures slows down rendertimes to a crawl!!
using reasonable images to map is way faster in rendering times..

cheers

alex

dmcgrath
03-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Sorry you are right, I'm wrong there. Too many procedurals will hurt you more. Sorry for that. :drool:

rollmops
03-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Try a few light linking.
Avoid big shadowmaps on point light cause you'll get 6 map for each light.
And spots get often a better result for less time.
In some Big scene you can divide rendering time by 2 just by reworking the lights and shadows.

You can also use attribut spread-sheet to turn off visible in reflection ( and refraction ). Keep only object that are utils in reflection.

In Render globals keep a low number of reflections ( if you need to see the refllections of reflection; 2 is enough)
sorry for my bad english
Good work!
Render in layers.
Good idea if you want to isolate the part of the scene that needs raytracing

A cheaper solution is to make a panoramic vue of the scene and use that picture as environment map then turn ray-tracing off

Mattrne
03-05-2003, 06:20 PM
also, you could try adjusting attributes on your objects, to stop them from being present in reflections. Also, have you tried reducing the numbers of raycasts?

rollmops
03-06-2003, 09:58 AM
I saw your pictures.
Did you use raycast shadow?
They're so sharp and looks too "CG" you really shoot try dephmap with a filter around 4. I'sure your lighting will becomes more natural.As a suggestion, stop using raytrace and start working a bit more creatively with more lights in your scene.
I totally agree!
First open your eyes and take time to watch the real world. Then use your imagination to fake a natural lighting.
( sorry if I hurt you ) It's really worth to restart your lighting.
Did your take a look at that tutorial (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24821&highlight=tutorial) ?
Keep on!

FlexGiddy
03-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Well it doesn't hurt.... The way I see it as long as I improve then what ever... So you think that the Depth Map Shadow renders looked better...? I'm guessing that with a few more lights it'll look better... Another reason for me to raytrace is because in another room I'm going to have a coffee table with the images from the TV reflecting off of it as I pan the camera around the room.... I can't get the raytrace and depth map shadowing to look the same... Any suggestion about how to solve that...?

ED

rollmops
03-07-2003, 09:23 AM
Can I suggest you to post your pictures in a WIP forum?
There you'll get more comments...

bambam
03-07-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by dmcgrath
Use layered shaders not layered textures.

its the other way around
layered shaders are more expensive then layered textures

Why?? When you have Layered shader Maya has to calc for transparency even if the object is not.

This was told to me by the guys who wrote the renderer

HADES
03-07-2003, 02:19 PM
try rendering in layer its the way where you drop your render time the most...........and dmcgrath usind layered shader insteed of layered texture its the inverse layered shader suck a lot of juice....................

FlexGiddy
03-11-2003, 06:34 PM
I haven't tried rendering in layers..... do I put alll the layers together in after effects or something...?

ntmonkey
03-11-2003, 09:04 PM
That's correct. And you've answered you're live action question as well. Use After Effects to composite the layers together. Just put your stuff in layers, and then toggle which ones will be renderable. It may seem tedious at first, but instead of re-rendering the whole image again if you don't like something, adjust just that particular layer that element is on.

As with your shadows, ray-traced shadows has those nice soft edges and fade outs. You can do that with tweaks to the light, and dropping your depth map shadow resolution a bit, and upping the filter to 3 or so. That will fuzz out the edges and make it more believable.

Hope that helps,

Lu

FlexGiddy
04-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Ahh....Thank you.

Flex

FlexGiddy
04-12-2003, 03:58 PM
What about the shadows of an object being casted on another oject on a different layer...?...Like the shadow of a cup being casted on some dishes and a wall....which are on different layers...then what....? (All of my stuff seems to over lap in terms of shadows.....)

Flex

FlexGiddy
04-15-2003, 11:50 PM
...anyone, anyone at all...?:shrug:

Flex

jeremybirn
04-16-2003, 12:28 AM
Regarding shadows and reflections from objects you aren't currently rendering, in the attribute editor/render stats you can turn off primary visiblity for an object, but still leave on casts shadows, appears in reflections, and so on. You can do this for a lot of models at once in the Render tab of the Attribute Spread Sheet window.

Regarding speeding up raytracing, keep the number of reflections, refractions, and shadows you pick in render globals as low as you can while it still looks good, and don't make anything reflective or refractive that doesn't need to be. Also, just because you're raytracing doesn't mean all your shadows need to be raytraced, you can still use depth maps if you want.

-jeremy

larryvm
04-21-2003, 05:46 PM
you say that the most important thing is the reflection of the tv in the cofee table, you can try to simulate this in other way, like put the image like map in an area ligth or an spot ligth , the image will not be the same, but the effect probably will.

sorry for my english.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.