PDA

View Full Version : 2.5D Matte Projection Painting - a first!

Nydendarin
03-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Just got a handle on the "Gnomon : Camera projection techniques for Maya" by Darin Hilton, which by the way is a fantastic DVD if you're looking to learn how to do camera projections in maya.

This exercise was my final project for my Digital Lighting and Rendering course. All assets were created by myself, with the exception of the base stone texture on the castle, which I got from the Total Textures pack volume #12.

I shot the plate and HDR that I used in the scene, modeled, textured and lit (using mental ray IBL)the castle and projections in Maya, rendered out all the layers and composited in shake.

In the future to touch this up, i'd like to add motion on the water, and perhaps push the camera move further, but time was short on this project, so this was as far as I got before the deadline. Comments and critiques welcome!

Still image from frame 1:

http://studentpages.scad.edu/%7Enbarto21/VFX/hdrcastle.0001.png

Video File with the camera Move:
Quicktime (http://studentpages.scad.edu/%7Enbarto21/VFX/Nick_Bartone.mov)
~23MB (H.264 codec)
Cheers!

everlite
03-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi Mate,

Surprised no ones given any feedback as yet. Very nice and clean.

A few points for future reference:

The scale of the castle is a little on the small side i think, real world and cinematically.

To really take this shot to the next level you need to add a little more going on, you could have a few CG guards walking about around the entrance, at that distance they could be really low poly simple setup, or even billboard actors walking around the top. Maybe the odd CG bird flying around, clouds passing over, a few flags blowing in the wind. There's lots and lots of little extras that could really take this one to the next level without much effort.

Maybe the skys a little over exposed, not sure.

Overall very clean and well done but needs to be taken to that cinematic level.

Thumbs up :thumbsup:

- Dave.

Nydendarin
03-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback Dave.

I agree the castle scale is a bit small, and unfortunately because of the way the landscape of the location sat, it was akward for it to be much bigger. This could have been fixed by working the plate a little bit, but as I said time was short. (From finishing the model to end product was about 4 days work)

For this exercise I was just demonstrating the matte projection and HDR lighting for the most part, but I agree as a demo-reel piece it needs to be pushed to cinematic level. Once again it was the time restraints for the assignment that cut that back. I had actually planned out having water motion, cloud paralax, and some other visual elements that I didnt' get to add in because I simply ran out of time.

once again, I appreciate the feedback! I'll keep your suggestions into consideration when revisiting this piece in the near future.
:)

Matellis
03-14-2007, 03:12 PM
I liked it , nice and simple , very effective. I dont think all castles have to be huge , this fits the scene for me.

Great work :D

Cheers!

everlite
03-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Yep, time's always the deciding factor :-) Still very nice.

I was thinking about buying that DVD, still might though not a Maya user myself so not sure too sure.

Anymore in the works?

- Dave.

Nydendarin
03-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Yep, time's always the deciding factor :-) Still very nice.

I was thinking about buying that DVD, still might though not a Maya user myself so not sure too sure.

Anymore in the works?

- Dave.
The DVD does cover the concept of things such as camera positioning, multi-camera projections, fixing stretching, etc. So if you're well versed enough in Max you may be able to translate it fairly easily. There is however another Matte projection DVD from Gnomon that is for Max (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/cst02.html). From what I hear it is also very good.

By 'Anymore in the works' do you mean do I have any further matte paintings in the works? And if so, then possibly would be the response. I would love to revisit these techniques both on this piece and on different pieces on individual projects so I have more time to work on them, but it's so hard to find free time to work on individual projects here at school. When the next matte-painting challenge comes up, I may take that as the opportunity for the side-project.

everlite
03-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Yeh the Stoski videos are very good though there's a few things he doesn't mention such as using multiple cameras etc. But still very good and worth seeing, the first one isn't too Max bias.

Well there might be another challenge ... one day ;-) so be good to have you along and take part. :thumbsup:

- Dave.

byvfx
03-14-2007, 05:30 PM
hey man good job!

Stoksi does actually mention the multiple camera for projection.. but he doesn't do it.

Nydendarin
03-14-2007, 10:30 PM
hey man good job!

Stoksi does actually mention the multiple camera for projection.. but he doesn't do it.
Thanks!

Yeah, Darin uses an actual practical example for the multi-camera projections in his dvd. He shows you a problem spot on his camera projection and walks you through step by step how to correct it. He also goes through a few painting tips, atmosphereic effects (maya fluids - clouds), lighting, etc. It's a fantastic DVD. I was able to pick up how to do camera projections in about as long as it took him to go thorugh the demonstration.

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2007, 10:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.