PDA

View Full Version : Using match mover with Vue ... tips, advice etc ..

everlite
03-14-2007, 03:16 AM
Hey guys,

Has anyone had any experience with using matchmover with Vue? I just gave it a go and wasn't very successful, granted i'm pretty new to Vue so maybe i'm missing something.

When inputting the distance value into MM what would you suggest?

My test resulting in the camera going complete off the scale, not sure if it was too big or two small, but the viewport was black.

Any tips, advice or suggestions on best results with MM?

- Dave.

IvanB
03-14-2007, 07:22 AM
Hi,

Have a look at these videos and see if they help.

http://www.esnips.com/web/MatchMover

Heres all my videos.

http://www.esnips.com/profile/40dacfe2-91ce-475f-84e5-1805f766e6b9

same, but quicktime format.

http://resources.advancedperceptions.net/Tutorials/Vue/

everlite
03-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey Ivan,

I've seen some of your earlier tutorials last year but didn't see the MM stuff. What can i say, that's the jackpot! :-) spot on what i needed. Honestly mate i've been through the MM tutorials and a gnomon DVD and it took your little tutorial to teach me that you could rotate the co-ordinate system into place! One of the biggest problems i've been having. So yeh within 10 minutes i was able to set up a perfect matchmove and get it into Vue no problem!

Just wondering, noticing the green screen process you took, in 3dsMax you can apply a matte shadow material to an object so it just renders the received shadow, can you not do something similar with Vue?

Cheers mate, you're a legend! :thumbsup:

everlite
03-14-2007, 04:50 PM
I think i spoke a little too soon :-)

Please see this short test i did:

http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/test_mm1.mov (4.5mb QT/S3)

If you look at the corners, notice the slight drifting over the duration of the clip?

The back plate is the top file (flyover) at:

http://www.ssontech.com/download.htm

Any suggestions on what might be causing this?

Cheers - Dave.

IvanB
03-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Hi David,

Glad to help...first up vue is a bit funny with shadows, many an hour was spent by a few of us in the e-on forum trying to nut this out...the green screen is the best way so far...Vue cant render a shadow if there isnt anything under it to recieve the shadow...unfortunatly.

With regards to the tutes I have to update them slightly...The cordinate system is a lot easier to do as apposed to my current tute (i was still learning and eager to make a tute to help a few people) and the process of bringing in and setting up vue is better...it will all make sense when done...next couple of days..(building new pc this weekend)..hang in there, it should be worth it.

With your clip, there is definatly sliding going most likely due to cordinate system...heres what to do (this will be in the video) but i'll try to explain.

Here goes....

When you include a co/sys...grab the shere that the xyz axis joins to, and DRAG it to your origin tracker (it should snap to tracker)...then grab the shpere at the tip of the x axis and DRAG that to your x axis tracker..at this point if done correctly the y axis should be pointing up...if its upside down, just play with youe x axis (something like that)...grab the sizeing sheres (blue line in co/sys...cant think of name) and drag each to a tracker to suit...I hope that makes sense!!

Still with me..LOL...now you can click on the grid and resize it,but DONT rotate or move...See how you go.

Ivan.

everlite
03-15-2007, 06:36 PM
With regards to the tutes I have to update them slightly...The cordinate system is a lot easier to do as apposed to my current tute

You mean to say there's an easier way! Trust me mate, the way you demonstrated seemed very simple to me. Previously i was doing as instructed in the shipped tutorials selecting various tracks in the properties etc .. simple enough, though i never seem to get the right results. But after watching your demo, ten minutes later i had in the bag. Well i guess if it get's easier than that i really can't wait to see you new tutorial, sounds great. Let me know the moment you get it online :-)

I noticed in your tutorial most of the tracks showed red areas, do you find this causes problems or is it a little more forgiving in practice?

Cheers again - Dave.

everlite
03-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Why can't you rotate the grid, it seems to make sense doing it that way?

IvanB
03-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Hi Dave,

Rotating the grid will undo the alignment, rotating it means the axis will not match to your trackers...It doesnt really matter how the grid looks in MM...as long as its aligned to your trackers that represent your ground plain...resizing it has an effect on how its represented in vue, but that can be adjusted in vue..and that will be in the videos.

If the trackers are red at certain points in the timeline..you can re track from that point forward or backwards till you get a better result...however have a look at the trackers when you play back the timeline and check to see if they slide..if not, should be fine (It was a quick example in the videos, but you can do a much better job)

If your ground trackers are done correctly the grid will be spot on.

Ivan.

everlite
03-16-2007, 04:56 AM
Hi Ivan,

It doesnt really matter how the grid looks in MM...as long as its aligned to your trackers that represent your ground plain

So can i not rotate the grid to align to the trackers that represent the ground plane? in the clip i posted above all the trackers were on the ground plane so i just aligned the grid to match the ground.

I'm sure it will all make sense when you get this new tutorial up :thumbsup: Any ideas when it'll be finished?

- Dave.

IvanB
03-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi Dave,

You actually have to add a cord/sys (which relates to the grid) and link that to the trackers...you can do it by eye, but you might get some sliding...atleast link the origin to a tracker, then if you like, rotate to match..check results.

The videos should be done, hopefully by tomorrow night..just finished building new system and its ready to go.

everlite
03-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Yep, i do add the cord/syst first, then once that's pretty much in position i then tweak the grid to bring everything into alignment. Pretty much identical as you did with the stone pillar. Seemed to work pretty good for me, except for the minor sliding :-)

Well, really looking forward to your tutorial.

Cheers - Dave.

IvanB
03-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Hi Dave...and All,

I have added an update video on setting up the coordinate system in Matchmover called "MM coordinate system"...hope it helps.

Ivan

All Videos.

http://www.esnips.com/profile/40dacfe2-91ce-475f-84e5-1805f766e6b9

Matchmover videos and update.

http://www.esnips.com/web/MatchMover

everlite
03-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Hi Ivan,

Cheers, nice one mate.

The only trouble i have when doing the way you suggest is the cood sys seems to break. Not too sure why.

Hey would you happen to know what might cause all the track points to go in a streight line when solved. A few times recently i've had this where everything seems fine but when i solve and rotate around i can see the tracks in a line from the cam to the plate. One time they were behind the cam!

Cheers again - Dave.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2007, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.